From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2019-04-14
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 21:05:59
1 On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 2:03 PM Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > The only thing that I can say is that obfuscating one's real identity
4 > could cause problems in the following areas:
5 >
6 > 1. Accountability in terms of any problems caused, either by malice or
7 > incompetence. For analogy, using caller ID to trace someone who may or may
8 > not have been spoofing their ID
9 > 2. copyright law, which is likely to be obvious in terms of grants or
10 > licenses, especially in the face of the GPL (of any version), and who owns
11 > which copyright can possibly be traced by the inclusion of real life
12 > identity. This also relates to point 1.
13 > 3. people doing gentoo work on company time may well forfeit their
14 > copyright interest to their employer under "work for hire", depending on
15 > jurisdiction and/or what arrangements are made. Said employer may be able
16 > to veto the wishes of the actual author, and may have their own legal
17 > department/law firm on retainer, and have deeper legal pockets to sue with
18 > if they want to object. In my opinion, having a "paper trail" of sorts to
19 > follow is essential both to track down legal problems and discourage anyone
20 > from causing them, also in relation to points 1 and 2 above.
21 >
22 > The details of how this is achieved is of course up to the proper people,
23 > but my personal opinion is that requiring a linux kernel style "sign-off"
24 > that at a minimum includes the real, legal name of the author of the change
25 > being committed is an important part of the process that at a minimum makes
26 > sure that said author is involved in the process of accountability,
27 > especially if any problems arise from it (legal or technical or otherwise)
30 Relatedly, I would opine that anyone who intentionally uses a false name
31 (especially if they get caught) has a possibly rebuttable presumption
32 against them that they are acting in bad faith and thus less trustworthy.
33
34 Accordingly I certainly would not object to punitive/remedial measures
35 being taken against people who intentionally obfusecate their identity,
36 especially if it causes problems or makes it harder for them to be held
37 accountable for it.