From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 23:03:34
1 On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 5:37 PM, Matthew Thode
2 <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
3 > 1. External control of Gentoo.
4 >
5 > I don't think there's much stopping us from investigating this as a
6 > possible option in the future but I think that this is mostly orthogonal
7 > to this proposal. Whatever the new 'board' would do would would just be
8 > reduced if we do choose external control.
9
10 While this is sort-of true I think it is still worth tackling at the
11 same time, since if the board has reduced responsibilities that might
12 be important to people voting for the board. For example, it is less
13 useful to have an accountant on the board (say, at the expense of
14 somebody who is more of a developer) if there won't be any accounting
15 to do.
16
17 It has been pointed out that we might still have to get a lot of
18 paperwork in order to make a transition to SPI. I think that is
19 something we should of course investigate with them, and if it turns
20 out the case they might be willing to help us with it, or recommend
21 somebody who has done this in the past for them. They would also
22 probably be able to give us a checklist of specific actions that would
23 need to be completed, which is a lot less nebulous a task than "get
24 the Foundation in order," and we could probably bid the work out to a
25 CPA/lawyer or other qualified professional (it is a defined and finite
26 amount of work with a clear exit strategy).
27
28 > SPI has been mentioned a couple of times and if anyone wants to
29 > contact them to work something out to propose to the foundation I don't
30 > think there's anything stopping you :D
31
32 That's fair. I think the onus is always on people putting forward a
33 proposal to do the legwork, though it was probably still wise to give
34 the trustees the right of first refusal since it is a
35 Foundation-related thing.
38 > 9. Members of the 'board' having conflicts with their job.
39 >
40 > I'm, not sure about this as it's likely case by case. But I
41 > personally don't see this causing much more issues than what is already
42 > caused by working on an open source project.
45 I'll just comment that this would be one of the benefits of going the
46 SPI route (or another such org). The board would not have the same
47 legal conflicts as it would if it were actually legally responsible
48 for a Foundation.
49
50 Either way I of course support the general direction of your proposal.
51 I just think that this is a big enough detail that it shouldn't just
52 be put on the back burner.
55 Rich