From: Eray Aslan <eras@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] pre-GLEP: Gentoo General Resolution
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 08:21:52
1 On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 08:32:25PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > I've chosen our numbers to be high enough to discourage attempted abuse
3 > while making it possible to actually use GR when necessary. Which
4 > numbers are you specifically talking about?
5
6 N1 and N2
7
8 > N1 being around 30 developers may seem large but it's certainly smaller
9 > than the number of Gentoo developers actively contributing to Gentoo
10 > every day. I get that getting them all to sign off is cumbersome but if
11 > there's a real reason to use GR, I'm pretty sure they'll find
12 > the motivation to do that.
13
14 GLEP: twice the square root of active developers, i.e. ~30 I guess
15 Debian: half the square root active developers or 5 whichever is
16 smaller. So practically 6 (5+1)
17
18 And bear in mind that Debian has a lot more active developers.
19
20 > N2 being 25% developers is really small. We're talking about all-dev
21 > vote, so really expecting at least 25% to actively take part is a must.
22 > It's larger than N1 but we're talking of a vote that's handled via
23 > voting mechanism all devs are supposed to notice.
24
25 GLEP: 25%
26 Debian: ~10% if we take number of active developers as 200
27
28 > The 2:1 majority is what Debian uses for overriding decisions of TC.
29
30 2:1 is fine.
31
32 Getting ~30 developers to sign a petition is just not realistic. I
33 doubt it will ever be done.
34
35 I feel we are back to the same differences as we did in closing the
36 gentoo-dev ML to the general public, namely low/no tolerance for
37 dissident voices.
38
39 "I know best, my way or highway" attitude is not always a bad thing in
40 technical matters. However, as we have seen in the gentoo-dev ML
41 discussion, council decides on non-tech matters as well.
42
43 The procedure for calculating the number of active developers should
44 probably also be mentioned somewhere in the GLEP or perhaps referenced
45 if defined elsewhere.
48 Eray