From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] pre-GLEP: Gentoo General Resolution
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 18:32:39
1 W dniu pią, 29.06.2018 o godzinie 08∶12 +0300, użytkownik Eray Aslan
2 napisał:
3 > On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 06:14:15PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > The text of a new GLEP proposal follows. The GLEP implements a General
5 > > Resolution mechanism based on the one in Debian; the idea was initially
6 > > proposed by Matthias Maier [1]; however, he didn't manage to find time
7 > > to write the GLEP.
8 > >
9 > > Please review the proposed text and let me know what you think. Please
10 > > note that the numbers presented have been chosen arbitrarily and are up
11 > > for discussion.
12 > >
13 > > [1]:https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/973be0a662b3cc74aa118a1128dcac9e
14 >
15 > Thanks for the write up.
16 >
17 > The numbers set too high a threshold to make it almost impossible to use
18 > GR. Debian defaults seems sane. Is there any particular reason we are
19 > changing them?
22 The main difference is that Debian's GR is a generic voting mechanism
23 that's supposed to be used ocassionally. Our GR is a fail-safe for
24 Council behaving silly or going rogue. It's not supposed to be used
25 under normal circumstances.
26
27 I've chosen our numbers to be high enough to discourage attempted abuse
28 while making it possible to actually use GR when necessary. Which
29 numbers are you specifically talking about?
30
31 If it's about N1 and N2, they may seem like many but I should point out
32 that after all we're talking about majority of the developers
33 disagreeing with the Council.
34
35 N1 being around 30 developers may seem large but it's certainly smaller
36 than the number of Gentoo developers actively contributing to Gentoo
37 every day. I get that getting them all to sign off is cumbersome but if
38 there's a real reason to use GR, I'm pretty sure they'll find
39 the motivation to do that.
40
41 N2 being 25% developers is really small. We're talking about all-dev
42 vote, so really expecting at least 25% to actively take part is a must.
43 It's larger than N1 but we're talking of a vote that's handled via
44 voting mechanism all devs are supposed to notice.
45
46 The 2:1 majority is what Debian uses for overriding decisions of TC.
47 So it's certainly not larger. In some cases Debian uses 3:1.
50 Best regards,
51 Michał Górny