From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Council candidates: Future of the Foundation
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 22:50:07
1 On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 2:11 PM Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 12:30:04PM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > > On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 8:20 PM Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > >
7 > > >
8 > > > On July 4, 2020 8:57:33 PM EDT, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
9 > wrote:
10 > > > >On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 2:44 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
11 > > > >
12 > > > >> On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 12:33 PM Andrew Savchenko <
13 > bircoph@g.o>
14 > > > >> wrote:
15 > > > >> >
16 > > > >> > This is one more aspect to this: some companies double donations
17 > > > >> > for 501c3 organizations. A friend of mine works in a large
18 > > > >> > corporation with HQ is the US and told me that his employer
19 > doubles
20 > > > >> > any donations made to 501c3, so he made no donation for Gentoo,
21 > > > >> > because that will mean loosing money for community which otherwise
22 > > > >> > can be doubled. So it is likely that 501c3 will increase incoming
23 > > > >> > donations.
24 > > > >>
25 > > > >> That is a really good point and I'll expand on this.
26 > > > >>
27 > > > >> Some organizations will only donate money to 501c3 organizations.
28 > > > >> Basically they're letting the IRS do the due diligence around
29 > whether
30 > > > >> the organization is actually charitable. They can potentially also
31 > > > >> receive tax benefits this way.
32 > > > >>
33 > > > >> If you want to receive grants/donations from other 501c3
34 > > > >organizations
35 > > > >> you will be far more likely to get them if you are yourself a 501c3
36 > > > >> organization. These transactions receive far less scrutiny than
37 > > > >> transfers from 501c3s to other types of corporations.
38 > > > >>
39 > > > >
42 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/106055a4c7b58694172f392e0279ec47
43 > >
44 > > -A
45 >
46 > Seems folks had ideas, but you (really we/Trustees) did not respond. Of
47 > course, it also seems many tried to divert the idea of spending any
48 > money without consulting Robin as the lead for finanances.
51 Yeah I think continuing the finances will help.
55 > For the record, Robin calcualted (IMHO, very well) what we could spend
56 > and what we couldn't. So, for those following this mail, please know
57 > that due diligence is completed before any funds are appropriated. Then
58 > and now.
61 I am also sad that we basically received no net new funding requests to the
62 Foundation. Everyone has ideas on how to spend money but no one is
63 executing anything. I think dillfridge was correct on that thread when he
64 said that the problem isn't necessarily money, but instead we lack the
65 people to execute on these ideas. We did the Nitrokey thing because people
66 did care and pushed that idea forward; getting financial approval for it
67 was straightforward
68
69 I see two main problems:
70 1) The main problem with efforts appears not to be a lack of money and
71 instead is a lack of leadership (e.g. someone pushing a project through.)
72 2) The foundation has been reticent to hire people to do this work for two
73 reasons.
74 a) The Foundation has often not wanted employees, or contractors; this
75 is mostly due to a lack of D&O insurance.
76 b) The Community has not been particularly receptive to paid vs unpaid
77 developers; we would need some method to manage this.
78
79 -A
82 > --
83 > Cheers,