From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Council candidates: Future of the Foundation
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 21:11:25
1 On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 12:30:04PM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 8:20 PM Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
6 > > On July 4, 2020 8:57:33 PM EDT, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
7 > > >On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 2:44 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
8 > > >
9 > > >> On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 12:33 PM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
10 > > >> wrote:
11 > > >> >
12 > > >> > This is one more aspect to this: some companies double donations
13 > > >> > for 501c3 organizations. A friend of mine works in a large
14 > > >> > corporation with HQ is the US and told me that his employer doubles
15 > > >> > any donations made to 501c3, so he made no donation for Gentoo,
16 > > >> > because that will mean loosing money for community which otherwise
17 > > >> > can be doubled. So it is likely that 501c3 will increase incoming
18 > > >> > donations.
19 > > >>
20 > > >> That is a really good point and I'll expand on this.
21 > > >>
22 > > >> Some organizations will only donate money to 501c3 organizations.
23 > > >> Basically they're letting the IRS do the due diligence around whether
24 > > >> the organization is actually charitable. They can potentially also
25 > > >> receive tax benefits this way.
26 > > >>
27 > > >> If you want to receive grants/donations from other 501c3
28 > > >organizations
29 > > >> you will be far more likely to get them if you are yourself a 501c3
30 > > >> organization. These transactions receive far less scrutiny than
31 > > >> transfers from 501c3s to other types of corporations.
32 > > >>
33 > > >
34 >
35 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/106055a4c7b58694172f392e0279ec47
36 >
37 > -A
38
39 Seems folks had ideas, but you (really we/Trustees) did not respond. Of
40 course, it also seems many tried to divert the idea of spending any
41 money without consulting Robin as the lead for finanances.
42
43 For the record, Robin calcualted (IMHO, very well) what we could spend
44 and what we couldn't. So, for those following this mail, please know
45 that due diligence is completed before any funds are appropriated. Then
46 and now.
49 Cheers,
50 Aaron