From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Council candidates: Future of the Foundation
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2020 19:30:18
1 On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 8:20 PM Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
5 > On July 4, 2020 8:57:33 PM EDT, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
6 > >On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 2:44 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 12:33 PM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
9 > >> wrote:
10 > >> >
11 > >> > This is one more aspect to this: some companies double donations
12 > >> > for 501c3 organizations. A friend of mine works in a large
13 > >> > corporation with HQ is the US and told me that his employer doubles
14 > >> > any donations made to 501c3, so he made no donation for Gentoo,
15 > >> > because that will mean loosing money for community which otherwise
16 > >> > can be doubled. So it is likely that 501c3 will increase incoming
17 > >> > donations.
18 > >>
19 > >> That is a really good point and I'll expand on this.
20 > >>
21 > >> Some organizations will only donate money to 501c3 organizations.
22 > >> Basically they're letting the IRS do the due diligence around whether
23 > >> the organization is actually charitable. They can potentially also
24 > >> receive tax benefits this way.
25 > >>
26 > >> If you want to receive grants/donations from other 501c3
27 > >organizations
28 > >> you will be far more likely to get them if you are yourself a 501c3
29 > >> organization. These transactions receive far less scrutiny than
30 > >> transfers from 501c3s to other types of corporations.
31 > >>
32 > >
33 > >This can be problematic for us in some cases.
34 > >
35 > >Currently our annual revenue is approximately 10,000 (All USD in this
36 > >example.) If we are a 501c3 public charity, we are required to source
37 > >1/3rd
38 > >of our revenue from the public; and the public is determined by a
39 > >complex
40 > >set of rules. Generally this is "donations less than 2% of gross
41 > >receipts."
42 > >So e.g. in our current funding model, 2% of 10,000 is 200$; and we need
44 > >gross at least 3,333$ in donations < 200$. I can tell you the Gentoo
45 > >Foundation easily passes this test[0]. However, if we were to be a
46 > >501c3
47 > >and suddenly donations increased, when do we need to start worrying?
50 > You should really double check this math.
53 If there is a problem with the math, please point it out.
57 > >For example; assume gross receipts tripled in the new system, to
58 > >30,000$.
59 > >Now we need 1/3rd of this new total (10,000$) to come from donations
60 > >less
61 > >than 600$ (2% of 30,000$). Plugging in our 2019-2020 data, our support
62 > >level here is not sufficient[1] and we will fail the public support
63 > >test.
64 > >Obviously the real numbers would be different but we might want to be
65 > >careful in terms of how we tell people to donate and how we account for
66 > >donations[2].
67 > >
68 > >For example if I donate X and my employer donates X, I assume that
69 > >counts
70 > >as 2 donations (not 1) and we can influence the recommended value for X
71 > >(e.g. we want X to be less than 2% of of expected gross revenues for
72 > >that
73 > >year, so it counts toward public support for the majority of
74 > >donations.)
75 > >
76 > >The other challenge is that we have no actual plan for spending money.
77 >
78 > Many have suggested ways to do this.
79 >
80 > >Feedback from the community has not been very positive when I have
81 > >tried to
82 > >engage with them on how to spend the money. This presents an ethical
83 > >problem in terms of raising funds we have no existing need for; the
84 > >existing public donations from individual contributors already exceed
85 > >our
86 > >expenses by a fair margin. I suspect in addition to moving to a
87 > >tax-exempt
88 > >non-profit we would need clearer guidance from the community on how to
89 > >allocate the potential increase in revenue.
90 >
91 > When exactly did you engage the community on how to spend this
92 > revenue/income?
95 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/106055a4c7b58694172f392e0279ec47
96
97 -A
101 > --
102 > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.