From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ComRel / disciplinary action reform proposal
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 18:06:24
1 On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 15:57:44 -0500
2 "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sunday, January 15, 2017 8:23:45 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
5 > >
6 > > What do you think?
7 >
8 > We should be discussing ways to attract more people to the project and growing
9 > numbers. Rather than reforming disciplinary action on an every shrinking
10 > community.
11 >
12 > IMHO much more needs a reform, like general attitudes all around. Reforming
13 > comrel and policies I do not think will encourage anyone to want to join
14 > Gentoo or help further then project.
15
16 William, if you do not have anything to add to the topic at hand,
17 please do not reply. Gentoo does not only consist of areas you care
18 about, and dismissing anything unrelated to them is not helping anyone.
19
20 Furthermore, I should point out that the teams performing disciplinary
21 actions can have strong influence on influx of developers. IRC, Forums
22 are frequently the areas where the first contact between users
23 and Gentoo community occurs, and with an unhealthy moderation team it
24 could be the last.
25
26 I'm talking both of the case when moderators abuse their power and ban
27 users unnecessarily, and of the case when they do not keep the channels
28 healthy and troublemakers discourage of users. In the end, the only
29 people that really come to Gentoo are the bullies and the people who
30 can withstand being bullied.
33 Best regards,
34 Michał Górny
35 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>