From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ComRel / disciplinary action reform proposal
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 18:54:38
1 On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 6:49:27 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > William, if you do not have anything to add to the topic at hand,
4 > please do not reply. Gentoo does not only consist of areas you care
5 > about, and dismissing anything unrelated to them is not helping anyone.
6
7 This is an area I do care about as it has effected me likely more than anyone.
8 I am not sure anyone has tried to return for some 8+ years. Or the amount of
9 attempts I have to return. During every attempt Comrel/Devrel has bee in the
10 way. A problem they started years ago by getting involved when they need not.
11
12 Which is why I say rather than reform. Ditch entirely as it has been EXTREMELY
13 harmful. Far beyond anything to do with myself personally.
14
15 > Furthermore, I should point out that the teams performing disciplinary
16 > actions can have strong influence on influx of developers. IRC, Forums
17 > are frequently the areas where the first contact between users
18 > and Gentoo community occurs, and with an unhealthy moderation team it
19 > could be the last.
20
21 I am quite aware. I have been moderated several times. I have seen the harm
22 that protecting the community via moderation causes. The damage is far worse
23 than what they seek to prevent in the first place.
24
25 > I'm talking both of the case when moderators abuse their power and ban
26 > users unnecessarily, and of the case when they do not keep the channels
27 > healthy and troublemakers discourage of users. In the end, the only
28 > people that really come to Gentoo are the bullies and the people who
29 > can withstand being bullied.
30
31 I believe allot of the moderation and issues I have faced were abuse of power
32 and/or completely unnecessary. Most times policies and procedures are not
33 followed. If nothing else, things were escalated that should have been de-
34 escalated. Problems created that spanned much longer than the problem seeking
35 to be addressed. Creating bigger problems and not resolving the issues.
36
37 I am not sure anyone around Gentoo has been treated as poorly as I have. Very
38 few would stick around for the punishment I get on the regular. With everyone
39 saying do as I say, not as I do....
40
41 Not to mention questioning others social skills from people who clearly lack
42 them to begin with. Most of the problem with Comrel/Devrel comes from having
43 the wrong people involved. People that lack people skills, make no effort to
44 establish or build personal relationships or anything of real benefit to
45 problem resolution. Which is why problems get escalated and become much bigger
46 and last for years. Assuming you know someone you do not.
49 William L. Thomson Jr.