From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ComRel / disciplinary action reform proposal
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 19:03:59
1 On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 1:54 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > This is an area I do care about as it has effected me likely more than anyone.
5 > I am not sure anyone has tried to return for some 8+ years. Or the amount of
6 > attempts I have to return. During every attempt Comrel/Devrel has bee in the
7 > way. A problem they started years ago by getting involved when they need not.
8 >
9 > ...
10 >
11 > I am quite aware. I have been moderated several times. I have seen the harm
12 > that protecting the community via moderation causes. The damage is far worse
13 > than what they seek to prevent in the first place.
14
15 Hmm, I can't imagine that if you have been moderated several times
16 that it might have some bearing on why you feel that Comrel/Devrel has
17 tended to get in the way of your rejoining...
18
19 In any case, as has been pointed out you could have appealed these
20 issues and would likely have gotten a final answer one way or the
21 other by now. But then we can't just complain about them forever.
22
23 > I am not sure anyone around Gentoo has been treated as poorly as I have. Very
24 > few would stick around for the punishment I get on the regular.
25
26 Indeed, most people who regularly get moderated tend to go away. I'm
27 not sure that is entirely a bad thing.
28
29 If people are willing to change they can of course stick around, and
30 if abuse is a concern that is why we have appeals.
33 Rich