From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council Elections Results for term 2014-2015
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 07:01:58
1 On 07/17/2014 09:16, hasufell wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman:
3 >> I think the only practical option is to try to prevent something like
4 >> this from happening again
5 >
6 > The reason this happened is IMO not just the failure of an election
7 > official, but the fact that it's technically even possible.
8 >
9 > Why is there any mapping between id and developer name (or why have the
10 > election officials access to this mapping... by definition it's already
11 > a non-anonymous election then)?
12 >
13 > I think it should be clear that this is also a technical issue and needs
14 > to be improved.
15
16 Maybe instead of developer name, the mapping should be between conf id and
17 developer UID on woodpecker for purposes of uniquely validating the vote.
18 Possibly even a dedicated and unique voting ID (VID), stored only in LDAP,
19 visible only to the developer (I think this is possible, though I'll assume
20 that infra can see everything anyways).
21
22 When the votes are tallied, these VIDs are hashed and the election officials
23 can only see the link between conf id and the hash, but the software can be
24 granted some LDAP read permission to look the VID up and auto-generate an
25 e-mail to that dev's mbox directly.
26
27 Doesn't eliminate the possibility of someone sleuthing around to eventually
28 link dev -> conf id, but in the event this happens in the future, the file
29 containing the linkages will only show hashes -> conf id.
30
31 </brainstorm>
34 Joshua Kinard
35 Gentoo/MIPS
36 kumba@g.o
37 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
38
39 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
40 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
41
42 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic