From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call For Agenda Items - 13 May 2014
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 18:53:46
1 On Sun, 11 May 2014 14:06:34 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 10:14 AM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > 3) contact multiple persons from the arch teams to be fully aware,
7 > > answers ranging from "Samuli can do that" [a personal
8 > > exception?] to "That's rude" [the opposite of that exception?]; so,
9 > > confusing;
10 >
11 > Honestly, vague accusations don't serve much purpose here.
12 >
13 > Either keep details private to protect identities if you want to talk
14 > about something in general, or just come out and say what you're
15 > concerned with so that we can talk about it in specific. Naming names
16 > but not the details is basically the worst of both worlds...
17
18 It is an example, not an accusation; it is a heavily redacted detail,
19 without naming any names. This is just yet another case to learn from.
20
21 Maybe I should go have a drink with Samuli and laugh about the event.
22
23 > Rumor has it [...]
24
25 That's a good song; reading its lyrics, it might fit the situation... :)
26
27 > I don't really see a need for personal exceptions.
28
29 To give that context, it was meant to suggest a lot of developers,
30 given that they make use of sufficient arch testing practices; not just
31 Samuli in specific, I apologize for the unintended word "personal".
32
33 > We haven't really been super-organized as a project in recent years,
34 > so I'm not sure anybody can really speak for the team as a whole.
35
36 That's the impression I get from talking to multiple arch members, I'm
37 told different things; I think the arch team is used to their habits,
38 thus communication is no longer common, which causes thoughts to shift.
39
40 > Honestly, concern about devs messing with stable keywords should
41 > probably just be brought to the attention of arch teams and left at
42 > that. QA is everybody's business, and this seems like QA, but in this
43 > sort of case the arch teams are in a better position to decide if
44 > there is a problem.
45
46 Yes, that's why I've told Alon to talk to Samuli and the arch teams;
47 with the intention to have them sort this out with each other, without
48 the need to escalate this to teams like QA, ComRel, Council.
49
50 But I'm someone that respects communication, documentation and policy;
51 call it being afraid of failure, I want to do things the right way. OCD
52
53 Perhaps that devmanual reference made Samuli upset; if so, sorry...
56 With kind regards,
57
58 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
59 Gentoo Developer
60
61 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
62 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
63 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D