From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call For Agenda Items - 13 May 2014
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 18:06:37
1 On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 10:14 AM, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2 > 3) contact multiple persons from the arch teams to be fully aware,
3 > answers ranging from "Samuli can do that" [a personal exception?]
4 > to "That's rude" [the opposite of that exception?]; so, confusing;
5
6 Honestly, vague accusations don't serve much purpose here.
7
8 Either keep details private to protect identities if you want to talk
9 about something in general, or just come out and say what you're
10 concerned with so that we can talk about it in specific. Naming names
11 but not the details is basically the worst of both worlds...
12
13 I don't know the details of what exactly Samuli stabilized, but
14 speaking only for myself my understanding of amd64 arch team policy is
15 that in general we're fine with developers stabilizing their own
16 packages as long as they actually test them on a stable amd64 system
17 and otherwise follow all the policies for the stable branch (no major
18 bugs, ~arch for 30 days, etc).
19
20 Rumor has it that the package that was stabilized wasn't one he
21 maintained, and that the maintainer wasn't given an opportunity to
22 chime in. That isn't something anybody should be doing (arch team or
23 not). If somebody wants to stabilize something they don't maintain
24 but the maintainer doesn't object, I don't see a big problem with it
25 as long as it is tested/etc. The amd64 team traditionally hasn't been
26 very territorial about its role, perhaps because the arch is so
27 ubiquitous.
28
29 I don't really see a need for personal exceptions.
30
31 That is just my two cents and understanding of what the amd64 arch
32 team generally does, speaking as somebody who has been on the team in
33 come capacity for the better part of a decade. We haven't really been
34 super-organized as a project in recent years, so I'm not sure anybody
35 can really speak for the team as a whole. If we had annual lead
36 elections then we'd be in a better place to dictate policy.
39 Honestly, concern about devs messing with stable keywords should
40 probably just be brought to the attention of arch teams and left at
41 that. QA is everybody's business, and this seems like QA, but in this
42 sort of case the arch teams are in a better position to decide if
43 there is a problem.
44
45 Disclaimer - again I don't know the particulars of what happened, so
46 to the extent that I'm only hearing part of the story (which is rather
47 likely), take what applies and ignore the rest. And again, all of the
48 above is just my personal two cents.
49
50 Rich