From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: proctors@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Why should you *not* vote on existing Council members
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 04:24:34
1 On 06/24/19 06:55, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Speaking only for my personal opinion:
3 >
4 > On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 12:12 AM desultory <desultory@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> Just so everyone is clear on this, exactly how is it bad to explain how
7 >> someone appears to demonstrate a lack of empathy?
8 >
9 > It isn't. It is bad to state that they demonstrate a lack of empathy
10 > on a public Gentoo forum.
11 >
12 > This is a negative statement about an individual - that simply is
13 > off-topic for all public Gentoo forums. If anybody has a concern that
14 > somebody lacks empathy they should discuss it with the individual, or
15 > bring it up with Comrel and resolve it in private.
16 >
17 So, even ignoring the rather more expansive take some have on the
18 statement in social contract regarding bugs being public [GSC:hide], by
19 your espoused reasoning even filing a bug requesting ComRel intervention
20 due to demonstrable violation of the CoC would not be a suitable venue
21 for arguably negative comments regarding an individual, as (per ComRel
22 [ComRel]) there is no indication that such bugs would necessarily be
23 private. Think about that for a moment: according to your logic it is an
24 actionable violation of community standards to formally request action
25 regarding actionable violations of community standards. Even when the
26 reasoning is laid out and it is expressly meant to me informational not
27 offensive.
28
29 By decreeing all arguably negative comments to be verboten, you have
30 essentially instituted a policy of radicalization. If this seems hard to
31 grasp, follow the logic for a moment. The mere act of telling a
32 developer that they are acting badly is, by your logic, forbidden as it
33 would be a statement which would arguably negatively reflect on an
34 individual. Thus marginally bad actors either do not get public feedback
35 on their behavior and become increasingly convinced that they are acting
36 in a wholly acceptable manner and their behavior gets reinforced, or
37 they do get public feedback and promptly file a complaint because
38 someone dared to tell them that they were not perfect and that is wrong
39 and must be quashed (though they would need to file the request in
40 private, obviously). Over time, people increasingly attempt to avoid the
41 bad actors, and when they are unavoidable become ever more demoralized
42 by their behavior which they still cannot comment on because negative
43 comments about people are forbidden, and citing a list of instances of
44 misbehavior, does at some point end up reducing to an argument against a
45 person and their behavior, and it thus forbidden. So you have people
46 being generally rude or abrasive, even without expressly meaning to be,
47 but they never get communal feedback since that has been forbidden. And
48 you have other people who increasingly simply try to avoid them because
49 they have simply had enough of whatever the problem is. What you end up
50 with is the people who are forbidden to respond either seeking alternate
51 ways in which to respond, thus forming insular cliques which
52 increasingly echo "bad person is bad", or open violation of your
53 interpretation of the CoC, or indeed of any interpretation of the CoC as
54 social norms in the project break down and the project essentially dies
55 under the weight of overly enforced politesse.
56
57 This seems suboptimal.
58
59 >> Especially after the
60 >> individual who posted the message in question apologized for any offense
61 >> caused before proctors stepped in?
62 >
63 > If I thought that offense was intended I (again, speaking personally)
64 > might have probably recommended a temporary ban, and not a warning
65 > (well, maybe after the election period so as not to interfere). I
66 > never thought that offense was intended, and even said as much on the
67 > list before the apology was even issued, or even before I became aware
68 > that a proctors bug had been opened.
69 >
70 > However, I'll note the apology didn't really apologize for making a
71 > personal statement about an individual in the first place, and only
72 > seemed to clarify its meaning. Again, the concern isn't that the
73 > statement was worded poorly (though it was), but that the whole issue
74 > with language would have been avoided entirely if we had avoided
75 > making personal statements about individuals in the first place. This
76 > wasn't a discussion about whether a particular individual was
77 > qualified to be in a particular role.
78 >
79 This standard, as noted above, is at best silly in practice and in theory.
80
81 >> Does the proctors project acknowledge that posting such a warning very
82 >> much appears to just be flagging something to complain to comrel about
83 >> later, and that by excluding the apology this appears to be all the more
84 >> biased?
85 >
86 > I'm not sure what comrel has to do with this. I have no personal
87 > insight into their thinking but I'm skeptical that they would be
88 > concerned with one CoC warning unless it were a part of a larger
89 > pattern of behavior.
90 >
91 Search engines are a things which exist. Bookmarks as well. Citing prior
92 incidents is common practice when filing virtually any manner of
93 grievance. By your espoused logic any arguably negative comment about
94 anyone constitutes a violation, making a pattern of behavior trivial to
95 establish as inoffensive arguably negative comments are not exactly hard
96 to come by when one is set on taking feedback as actionably negative.
97
98 > Nor do I see bias. Surely saying somebody demonstrates lack of
99 > empathy is a negative statement about an individual person. That
100 > makes the statement a CoC violation.
101 >
102 Aye, and ducks weigh as much as ducks and are therefore witches.
103
104 Do pray tell why, by your logic comments regarding negative aspects of
105 individuals are forbidden, but analogous comments regarding entire teams
106 are not.
107 > A complaint was made to proctors, and the proctors evaluated the
108 > statement and determined it was a violation. Dismissing a complaint
109 > without taking action when it pertained to a Council member would
110 > probably have been the worse outcome, IMO.
111 >
112 Quite the interesting stance there as well: any complaint at all against
113 a member of the council should, by your logic, merit a public warning to
114 the council member, no exceptions.
115
116 > I'll agree that this was a somewhat borderline situation, and I was
117 > personally concerned that a warning would itself lack empathy which
118 > would of course be ironic. However, we were asked for a decision and
119 > made one, and in my proposed wording I did try to depersonalize and
120 > contextualize the nature of Proctors actions.
121 >
122 It was indeed ironic. It was also badly supported by logic. And a rather
123 dramatic shifting of established norms.
124
125 > The goal here is to try to get everybody to focus on the issues and
126 > policies and less on criticizing people personally on public mailing
127 > lists. That is all.
128 >
129 > Again, speaking personally for myself only...
132 [GSC:hide]
133 https://www.gentoo.org/get-started/philosophy/social-contract.html#we-will-not-hide-problems
134 [ComRel] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:ComRel