From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: desultory <desultory@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, proctors@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Why should you *not* vote on existing Council members
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 12:37:00
1 On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 12:24 AM desultory <desultory@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 06/24/19 06:55, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > Speaking only for my personal opinion:
5 > >
6 > by
7 > your espoused reasoning even filing a bug requesting ComRel intervention
8 > due to demonstrable violation of the CoC would not be a suitable venue
9 > for arguably negative comments regarding an individual, as (per ComRel
10 > [ComRel]) there is no indication that such bugs would necessarily be
11 > private.
12
13 There is also no indication that such bugs would be public. IMO the
14 ComRel policy should define expectations of privacy because this has
15 been a problem in the past with Council appeals, which I believe I
16 have commented on the lists about previously.
17
18 In any case, Comrel can handle its own bugs, and unless somebody says
19 otherwise I'd probably consider them out of scope for proctors.
20
21 > By decreeing all arguably negative comments to be verboten, you have
22 > essentially instituted a policy of radicalization.
23
24 Your whole post is basically a negative comment about how the CoC is
25 being enforced, and does not contain personal attacks. We can talk
26 about issues. We can talk about policies/processes. Just don't talk
27 about individual people.
28
29 > The mere act of telling a
30 > developer that they are acting badly is, by your logic, forbidden as it
31 > would be a statement which would arguably negatively reflect on an
32 > individual.
33
34 We only enforce the CoC on public lists. If you are having this
35 discussion in private it would not be within the scope of proctors.
36 If somebody feels they're being harassed in private they can always go
37 to Comrel, but if you try to work constructively with an individual
38 and they are ignoring you it is better to just go to Comrel if the
39 matter is serious (assuming this is an interpersonal issue - if it is
40 a technical/quality issue QA would be more appropriate).
41
42 And talking about ISSUES is again fine. If you notice a bug in an
43 eclass/ebuild that is causing problems then open a bug and talk about
44 it. You can talk about it on the lists if appropriate. QA can
45 connect the dots if there are trends involving individuals, or you can
46 privately suggest that they look for dots.
47
48 This isn't about suppressing issues. This is about HOW we deal with them.
49
50 While it isn't Gentoo's policy I'd suggest taking a look at the FSF's
51 CoC. It does a decent job (IMO) of explaining why personal attacks
52 are counterproductive even if you think they should be allowed, which
53 they are not (at least not unless Council says otherwise).
54
55 > > I'm not sure what comrel has to do with this. I have no personal
56 > > insight into their thinking but I'm skeptical that they would be
57 > > concerned with one CoC warning unless it were a part of a larger
58 > > pattern of behavior.
59 > >
60 > Search engines are a things which exist. Bookmarks as well. Citing prior
61 > incidents is common practice when filing virtually any manner of
62 > grievance. By your espoused logic any arguably negative comment about
63 > anyone constitutes a violation, making a pattern of behavior trivial to
64 > establish as inoffensive arguably negative comments are not exactly hard
65 > to come by when one is set on taking feedback as actionably negative.
66
67 Sure, and if somebody says 3 mildly-negative things about somebody
68 over their 20 year dev career, I suspect that Comrel will probably
69 weigh the passing of time.
70
71 I mean, it isn't like they're kicking people out left and right...
72
73 The fact that search engines and archives exist is part of why we
74 don't attack people personally in the first place. I mean, who wants
75 to work on a project which requires operating with your real name
76 where people non-professionally have at each other regularly? To err
77 is human, and interpersonal conflict will always happen. Professional
78 conduct is about handling these situations in a more effective manner
79 that reflects the realities that we all mess up from time to time. It
80 isn't about ignoring issues, it is about recognizing that hitting
81 people with a bat doesn't necessarily inspire them to fix issues
82 either (again, read the FSF CoC for more elegant argument).
83
84 > Do pray tell why, by your logic comments regarding negative aspects of
85 > individuals are forbidden, but analogous comments regarding entire teams
86 > are not.
87
88 It isn't about the team either. It is about the policies/processes/outcomes.
89
90 For example, we're discussing whether negative personal criticism
91 should be allowed on the lists. That is just a policy decision.
92
93 If people are implementing a bad policy, the issue isn't with the
94 people, either individually or as a team. That doesn't mean we need
95 300 commandments - just feedback.
96 If people aren't implementing a policy correctly, then the issue is
97 with the people, but if the people aren't already being dealt with
98 then there is also a problem with the process.
99
100 So, you can talk about outcomes and get those fixed.
101
102 Now, keep in mind that we're still a small organization and always
103 labor-constrained, so sometimes we're just stuck with the people
104 willing to do the work.
105
106 > > A complaint was made to proctors, and the proctors evaluated the
107 > > statement and determined it was a violation. Dismissing a complaint
108 > > without taking action when it pertained to a Council member would
109 > > probably have been the worse outcome, IMO.
110 > >
111 > Quite the interesting stance there as well: any complaint at all against
112 > a member of the council should, by your logic, merit a public warning to
113 > the council member, no exceptions.
114
115 You skipped part of my statement, "proctors evaluated the statement
116 and determined it was a violation."
117
118 We obviously don't issue warnings when we determine there aren't violations.
119
120 Do you REALLY want us ignoring violations by individuals in senior
121 positions when there has been a complaint?
122
123 > > I'll agree that this was a somewhat borderline situation, and I was
124 > > personally concerned that a warning would itself lack empathy which
125 > > would of course be ironic. However, we were asked for a decision and
126 > > made one, and in my proposed wording I did try to depersonalize and
127 > > contextualize the nature of Proctors actions.
128 > >
129 > It was ... a rather
130 > dramatic shifting of established norms.
131
132 Well, of course. Proctors basically didn't exist for a decade. ANY
133 action we take is a dramatic shifting of established norms.
134
135 Proctors has been existence for basically a full year. Aside with
136 dealing with some spam/etc this is really the only significant action
137 it has taken in one year, and it was a warning.
138
139 I don't think it is realistic to have a Code of Conduct that we
140 actually intend to be followed and not expect to have at least a
141 warning issued once a year.
142
143 > [ComRel] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:ComRel
146 Rich