From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: proctors@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Why should you *not* vote on existing Council members
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 05:23:53
1 On 06/26/19 08:36, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 12:24 AM desultory <desultory@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 06/24/19 06:55, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>> Speaking only for my personal opinion:
6 >>>
7 >> by
8 >> your espoused reasoning even filing a bug requesting ComRel intervention
9 >> due to demonstrable violation of the CoC would not be a suitable venue
10 >> for arguably negative comments regarding an individual, as (per ComRel
11 >> [ComRel]) there is no indication that such bugs would necessarily be
12 >> private.
13 >
14 > There is also no indication that such bugs would be public. IMO the
15 > ComRel policy should define expectations of privacy because this has
16 > been a problem in the past with Council appeals, which I believe I
17 > have commented on the lists about previously.
18 >
19 So no ComRel needs to clean house in order to avoid running afoul of a
20 new (unilaterally conceived) policy that runs distinctly counter to
21 existing practice.
22
23 > In any case, Comrel can handle its own bugs, and unless somebody says
24 > otherwise I'd probably consider them out of scope for proctors.
25 >
26 The proctors project wiki page [proctors] explicitly states that it
27 considers bugzilla to be under its direct purview; not just some bugs,
28 all bugs. Which would make this yet another new policy spawned for no
29 evident reason other than having not thought through the implications of
30 an existing policy, and not bothering to consult with affected parties,
31 again.
32
33 >> By decreeing all arguably negative comments to be verboten, you have
34 >> essentially instituted a policy of radicalization.
35 >
36 > Your whole post is basically a negative comment about how the CoC is
37 > being enforced, and does not contain personal attacks. We can talk
38 > about issues. We can talk about policies/processes. Just don't talk
39 > about individual people.
40 >
41 Yes, it is, because the specific instance in question was badly handled
42 and the newly espoused (and unilateral) policy is perverse, draconian,
43 and generally ill-conceived.
44
45 >> The mere act of telling a
46 >> developer that they are acting badly is, by your logic, forbidden as it
47 >> would be a statement which would arguably negatively reflect on an
48 >> individual.
49 >
50 > We only enforce the CoC on public lists. If you are having this
51 > discussion in private it would not be within the scope of proctors.
52 > If somebody feels they're being harassed in private they can always go
53 > to Comrel, but if you try to work constructively with an individual
54 > and they are ignoring you it is better to just go to Comrel if the
55 > matter is serious (assuming this is an interpersonal issue - if it is
56 > a technical/quality issue QA would be more appropriate).
57 >
58 Again, contrary to how the proctors wiki page defines the scope of the
59 project.
60
61 > And talking about ISSUES is again fine. If you notice a bug in an
62 > eclass/ebuild that is causing problems then open a bug and talk about
63 > it. You can talk about it on the lists if appropriate. QA can
64 > connect the dots if there are trends involving individuals, or you can
65 > privately suggest that they look for dots.
66 >
67 > This isn't about suppressing issues. This is about HOW we deal with them.
68 >
69 If if were my impression that proctors was directly attempting to quash
70 discussion of bugs in general, I would already have sent mail to all
71 current council members and the project mailing list requesting an
72 immediate dissolution of the proctors project as it was acting directly
73 counter to productive work and against any semblance of mandate it might
74 have. As it is, the project as a whole has not reached that threshold.
75
76 > While it isn't Gentoo's policy I'd suggest taking a look at the FSF's
77 > CoC. It does a decent job (IMO) of explaining why personal attacks
78 > are counterproductive even if you think they should be allowed, which
79 > they are not (at least not unless Council says otherwise).
80 >
81 The most obvious problem with that is what was warned about was not a
82 personal attack. There is a difference between "$person lack empathy"
83 and "$person is an inhuman monster" which seems to have been lost in
84 this action by proctors.
85
86 >>> I'm not sure what comrel has to do with this. I have no personal
87 >>> insight into their thinking but I'm skeptical that they would be
88 >>> concerned with one CoC warning unless it were a part of a larger
89 >>> pattern of behavior.
90 >>>
91 >> Search engines are a things which exist. Bookmarks as well. Citing prior
92 >> incidents is common practice when filing virtually any manner of
93 >> grievance. By your espoused logic any arguably negative comment about
94 >> anyone constitutes a violation, making a pattern of behavior trivial to
95 >> establish as inoffensive arguably negative comments are not exactly hard
96 >> to come by when one is set on taking feedback as actionably negative.
97 >
98 > Sure, and if somebody says 3 mildly-negative things about somebody
99 > over their 20 year dev career, I suspect that Comrel will probably
100 > weigh the passing of time.
101 >
102 Interesting how you draw a distinction between mildly negative comments
103 and personal attack s here, but not in the "warning" itself, despite
104 acknowledging in that warning that it was not evidently meant to be
105 offensive.
106
107 > I mean, it isn't like they're kicking people out left and right...
108 >
109 This is yet another occurrence of a fallacy which is distressingly
110 common in various media: since one does not think that a system is being
111 overly abused now, why should anyone be at all concerned about abuses in
112 the system? Especially when that system is, in the instance in question,
113 being abused.
114
115 > The fact that search engines and archives exist is part of why we
116 > don't attack people personally in the first place. I mean, who wants
117 > to work on a project which requires operating with your real name
118 > where people non-professionally have at each other regularly? To err
119 > is human, and interpersonal conflict will always happen. Professional
120 > conduct is about handling these situations in a more effective manner
121 > that reflects the realities that we all mess up from time to time. It
122 > isn't about ignoring issues, it is about recognizing that hitting
123 > people with a bat doesn't necessarily inspire them to fix issues
124 > either (again, read the FSF CoC for more elegant argument).
125 >
126 And yet here we are back to having no distinction between mildly
127 negative comments and personal attacks.
128
129 >> Do pray tell why, by your logic comments regarding negative aspects of
130 >> individuals are forbidden, but analogous comments regarding entire teams
131 >> are not.
132 >
133 > It isn't about the team either. It is about the policies/processes/outcomes.
134 >
135 So smearing groups of people is acceptable, so long as none are
136 isolated. Pray tell, what of instances where an individual smears
137 another by associating them with a smeared group?
138
139 > For example, we're discussing whether negative personal criticism
140 > should be allowed on the lists. That is just a policy decision.
141 >
142 Do kindly enlighten me: exactly what would you personally or the
143 proctors generally consider to be positive personal criticism?
144
145 > If people are implementing a bad policy, the issue isn't with the
146 > people, either individually or as a team. That doesn't mean we need
147 > 300 commandments - just feedback.
148 If people are making bad policy for questionable reasons, either
149 individually or as a team, there is something amiss with their
150 perspective, their data, their logic, or their value judgments.
151 Sometimes reeducation is not worth the cost, especially when there are
152 ongoing costs incurred and no guarantee that such education would be
153 effective.
154
155 > If people aren't implementing a policy correctly, then the issue is
156 > with the people, but if the people aren't already being dealt with
157 > then there is also a problem with the process.
158 >
159 It is entirely possible to make policies which are unclear, or
160 inexplicit on some point, which are then taken, incorrectly, to imply
161 something which is itself then made policy and enforced. Which is indeed
162 what I consider to have happened here. Given that proctors process was
163 implemented questionably regarding the warning, and there was no evident
164 process at all regarding the newly espoused policy, are you telling me
165 that the problem is the people involved?
166
167 > So, you can talk about outcomes and get those fixed.
168 >
169 > Now, keep in mind that we're still a small organization and always
170 > labor-constrained, so sometimes we're just stuck with the people
171 > willing to do the work.
172 >
173 Sometimes, it is better to leave a job undone than to have it done
174 improperly.
175
176 >>> A complaint was made to proctors, and the proctors evaluated the
177 >>> statement and determined it was a violation. Dismissing a complaint
178 >>> without taking action when it pertained to a Council member would
179 >>> probably have been the worse outcome, IMO.
180 >>>
181 >> Quite the interesting stance there as well: any complaint at all against
182 >> a member of the council should, by your logic, merit a public warning to
183 >> the council member, no exceptions.
184 >
185 > You skipped part of my statement, "proctors evaluated the statement
186 > and determined it was a violation."
187 >
188 No, I did not skip that part. I disagree with there having been any
189 actionable violation of the CoC in the first place, but your espoused
190 standard is that a comment could be interpreted as being negative in
191 regards to an individual. Given your espoused standard, merely claiming
192 the potential for offense is sufficient grounds for, at the least, a
193 warning.
194
195 > We obviously don't issue warnings when we determine there aren't violations.
196 >
197 That much has become distinctly questionable in light of recent actions.
198
199 > Do you REALLY want us ignoring violations by individuals in senior
200 > positions when there has been a complaint?
201 >
202 Following your espoused standards, I should file a proctors bug over
203 that, as it arguably violates the code of conduct [CoC], specifically:
204 "
205 Unacceptable behaviour
206 ...
207 * Being judgmental, mean-spirited or insulting. It is possible to
208 respectfully challenge someone in a way that empowers without being
209 judgemental.
210 * Constantly purveying misinformation despite repeated warnings.
211 "
212 Indeed, it even arguably fits both of the other descriptions for
213 unacceptable behavior, at very least as well as what proctors have
214 actually issued a warning over. Is that seriously the path being sought
215 for discourse on the lists? Are rhetorical questions to be banned as well?
216
217 As I have already noted, I do not believe that the comments in question
218 warranted any disciplinary response, certainly not an official public
219 warning. I do not care whether the person making them is a member of the
220 council or up for election to the council. A trumped up complaint
221 drawing an overreaction is not better for having been in response to
222 someone on the council, it is merely more visible.
223
224 >>> I'll agree that this was a somewhat borderline situation, and I was
225 >>> personally concerned that a warning would itself lack empathy which
226 >>> would of course be ironic. However, we were asked for a decision and
227 >>> made one, and in my proposed wording I did try to depersonalize and
228 >>> contextualize the nature of Proctors actions.
229 >>>
230 >> It was ... a rather
231 >> dramatic shifting of established norms.
232 >
233 > Well, of course. Proctors basically didn't exist for a decade. ANY
234 > action we take is a dramatic shifting of established norms.
235 >
236 While it is true that there was no proctors project for quite some time,
237 claiming that any action by any proctor would necessarily be a dramatic
238 shift in established norms is utterly, blatantly, false. There have been
239 numerous personal attacks on the lists in the time since the proctors
240 project was started (restarted, if you prefer), none received a warning
241 for months, then a critique of how someone handles one of their roles
242 was treated as an actionable violation. By your logic, there is
243 absolutely no reason to believe that proctors will, or will not, do
244 literally anything at literally any time, because it has "only" been
245 embodied for a year, and is making radical changes to its policies for
246 reasons which have yet to be articulated. Yes, you have stated that you
247 seek to enforce "professional conduct", but the reason for the rather
248 dramatic policy shift has gone without mention.
249
250 Whether the new policy even provides for "professional conduct" is an
251 other question entirely, though as one might infer I very much doubt
252 that it does, will, or indeed can.
253
254 > Proctors has been existence for basically a full year. Aside with
255 > dealing with some spam/etc this is really the only significant action
256 > it has taken in one year, and it was a warning.
257 >
258 It has issued a warning which it should not have, and not issued dozens
259 which were distinctly more warranted, I would consider that to be a
260 rather unimpressive track record.
261
262 > I don't think it is realistic to have a Code of Conduct that we
263 > actually intend to be followed and not expect to have at least a
264 > warning issued once a year.
265 >
266 I think that it is distinctly unrealistic to treat a personal critique
267 as an actionable personal attack when personal attacks are regularly
268 ignored by proctors. I think it is distinctly unrealistic to claim that
269 the CoC is being followed when it is demonstrably not.
270
271 >> [ComRel] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:ComRel
274 [proctors] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Proctors
275 [CoC] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Council/Code_of_conduct