From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 08:00:27
1 Personally I think the only requirement for being a foundation member is
2 agreement to adhere to the CoC, and proof of contribution and involvement.
3 I do not think the contribution bar should be very high, as anyone with a
4 purple and green heart should be welcome as a foundation member in my
5 opinion, and anyone who loves gentoo and can behave decently enough not to
6 damage it should be welcome.
7
8 I also disagree that loss of membership in one should get you booted out of
9 the other. I will say, however, that if a person is forcibly removed from
10 staff, the foundation's trustees should be notified. If it was due to a
11 CoC violation then there's a strong cause to have them removed as a
12 foundation member. If it was due to technical incompetence or due to
13 breaking the tree one times too many, but they still can contribute in
14 other ways, then no I don't think its proper to remove them.
15
16 Furthermore, I don't think we should limit gentoo project staff roles, or
17 foundation membership, to developers. There are plenty of people who care
18 about Gentoo who aren't technically inclined enough to be developers.
19
20 How about this:
21
22 1. The baseline role is "Gentoo loyalist" of some sort
23
24 To become a loyalist, you simply have to agree to the CoC. This could even
25 be an abstract social construct and only evaluated as needed.
26
27 A CoC violation is punishable, and will cause the person's "loyal" status
28 to be revoked or suspended. This part *automatically* suspends or revokes
29 any other official roles, be it foundation member, developer, or staff.
30
31 2. Foundation member
32
33 To become a foundation member, you must be in good standing wrt the CoC,
34 and make enough of a contribution to Gentoo that the trustees see fit to
35 recruit you as a foundation member. The standard they will use to judge
36 you is being passionate enough about gentoo to be helpful in some way.
37
38 If you become "dead weight" or prove that you've lost your passion for
39 gentoo, you get discharged as a member.
40
41 3. Developer
42
43 A developer is someone who has passed the ebuild quiz and demonstrated
44 technical competence to where they can be trusted with direct access to the
45 portage tree.
46
47 Technical incompetence, breaking the tree, violating project protocols, and
48 the like can get your dev status yanked either temporarily or permanently
49 or indefinitely.
50
51 4. Staff
52
53 A staff is anyone with any kind of authority or management role within
54 gentoo. You must take and pass the staff quiz.
55
56 Once you pass the staff quiz, you can be granted privileges on bugzilla,
57 the forums, mailing lists, access to privileged resources on infra, etc.
58
59 If you screw up, you can be destaffed.
60
61 ----
62
63 I think that developer, staff, and foundation member should be kept
64 separately toggled by circumstance. Only for a CoC violation should there
65 be any sort of "cascade" reaction that gets you booted from multiple roles
66 automatically.
67
68 5. Council
69
70 A council member is someone who has been
71