From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 15:49:18
1 On 10/14/2016 02:59 AM, Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > Personally I think the only requirement for being a foundation member is
3 > agreement to adhere to the CoC, and proof of contribution and
4 > involvement. I do not think the contribution bar should be very high,
5 > as anyone with a purple and green heart should be welcome as a
6 > foundation member in my opinion, and anyone who loves gentoo and can
7 > behave decently enough not to damage it should be welcome.
8 >
9 Ya, the staff quiz reasoning is just to make sure they know enough about
10 Gentoo and our policies to work well in the group.
11
12 > I also disagree that loss of membership in one should get you booted out
13 > of the other. I will say, however, that if a person is forcibly
14 > removed from staff, the foundation's trustees should be notified. If it
15 > was due to a CoC violation then there's a strong cause to have them
16 > removed as a foundation member. If it was due to technical incompetence
17 > or due to breaking the tree one times too many, but they still can
18 > contribute in other ways, then no I don't think its proper to remove them.
19 >
20 The way it's suggested to work for devs is commit (dev) access can be
21 revoked by council, they'd still remain as staff (dev would basically be
22 a 'flag').
23
24 > Furthermore, I don't think we should limit gentoo project staff roles,
25 > or foundation membership, to developers. There are plenty of people who
26 > care about Gentoo who aren't technically inclined enough to be developers.
27 >
28 > How about this:
29 >
30 > 1. The baseline role is "Gentoo loyalist" of some sort
31 >
32 > To become a loyalist, you simply have to agree to the CoC. This could
33 > even be an abstract social construct and only evaluated as needed.
34 >
35 > A CoC violation is punishable, and will cause the person's "loyal"
36 > status to be revoked or suspended. This part *automatically* suspends
37 > or revokes any other official roles, be it foundation member, developer,
38 > or staff.
39 >
40 > 2. Foundation member
41 >
42 > To become a foundation member, you must be in good standing wrt the CoC,
43 > and make enough of a contribution to Gentoo that the trustees see fit to
44 > recruit you as a foundation member. The standard they will use to judge
45 > you is being passionate enough about gentoo to be helpful in some way.
46 >
47 > If you become "dead weight" or prove that you've lost your passion for
48 > gentoo, you get discharged as a member.
49 >
50 > 3. Developer
51 >
52 > A developer is someone who has passed the ebuild quiz and demonstrated
53 > technical competence to where they can be trusted with direct access to
54 > the portage tree.
55 >
56 > Technical incompetence, breaking the tree, violating project protocols,
57 > and the like can get your dev status yanked either temporarily or
58 > permanently or indefinitely.
59 >
60 > 4. Staff
61 >
62 > A staff is anyone with any kind of authority or management role within
63 > gentoo. You must take and pass the staff quiz.
64 >
65 > Once you pass the staff quiz, you can be granted privileges on bugzilla,
66 > the forums, mailing lists, access to privileged resources on infra, etc.
67 >
68 > If you screw up, you can be destaffed.
69 >
70 > ----
71 >
72 > I think that developer, staff, and foundation member should be kept
73 > separately toggled by circumstance. Only for a CoC violation should
74 > there be any sort of "cascade" reaction that gets you booted from
75 > multiple roles automatically.
76 >
77 > 5. Council
78 >
79 > A council member is someone who has been
80 >
81 > On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 5:53 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o