From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Groups under the Council or Foundation: the structure & processes thereof
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 22:46:49
1 On 13/11/2016 23:33, Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > My personal opinion here is that *anything* to do with legal issues,
3 > such as legal liability, no matter how theoretical, is something the
4 > trustees should be involved in.
5
6 I already enumerated the situations that would involve the foundation.
7
8 On the contrary of companies that can be sued if somebody hired by them
9 harasses or worse another person within the company, the foundation,
10 being unrelated to the Gentoo community barring acting as a piggy bank,
11 cannot be sued.
12
13 There isn't any specific requirement for that and there isn't any
14 contract that ties the people volunteering their free time to do
15 something in Gentoo with the foundation (since the copyright assignment
16 got killed as I mentioned before).
17
18 > Per my own dev quiz, the foundation's job is to worry about legal
19 > issues (lawsuits, copyrights, etc) and financial issues (donations,
20 > server hardware) so that the codemonkey developers don't have to.
21
22 Even copyright is a gray area thanks to the fact a large deal of
23 developers lives in Europe.
24
25 > That is why I CCed the trustees when the logo stuff on third party
26 > sites came up. I don't think there's any conspiracy to keep the
27 > trustees in the dark, but I *do* perceive a lack of communication.
28
29 The fact trustees have no mean to peek in / influence Council or Comrel
30 shields the foundation from lawsuits.
31
32 lu