From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: GLEP 76
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 04:32:05
1 On 07/02/19 07:57, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 12:24 AM desultory <desultory@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 07/01/19 07:59, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>> On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 1:02 AM desultory <desultory@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>>
7 >>>> publishing PII purely on the basis of disciplinary
8 >>>> considerations could be quite reasonably considered to be an outrageous
9 >>>> overreach. There are reasons that "doxing" is generally considered to be
10 >>>> rather reprehensible.
11 >>>
12 >>> It obviously is reprehensible. However, nobody is suggesting
13 >>> publishing PII for any reason, and I have no idea where this idea even
14 >>> came from.
15 >>>
16 >> How, exactly, is a requirement to provide and publish "legal name as a
17 >> natural person, i.e., the name that would appear in a government issued
18 >> document" [GLEP76] not a requirement to publish persona data [PII]?
19 >
20 > It isn't an issue if the person involved publishes itself and Gentoo
21 > is merely the medium, IMO.
22 >
23 In effect, so long as you can get some people to do it, the rest don't
24 matter. Is that really such a good stance for an organization which is
25 chronically in search of additional volunteers?
26
27 >>> Furthermore, I do not think that Gentoo should be collecting PII under
28 >>> conditions of confidentiality for any reason in the first place. Nor
29 >>> should we be doing any activities that require us to do so, such as
30 >>> accepting money from people, or paying people. IMO we do not have the
31 >>> demonstrated ability to do this in a safe and compliant manner, and we
32 >>> have a history of not performing legally-required activities in a
33 >>> compliant manner.
34 >>>
35 >> Too late, Gentoo has multiple services which collect some form of PII
36 >> (e.g. the EU considers an IP address to be, at least potentially, PII),
37 >> and retain at least some of that data without publishing it.
38 >
39 > I said that I don't think that it should be. I never claimed that it wasn't.
40 >
41 You based your argument on your preference, as opposed to reality. The
42 reality is that it does, and that there is no practical way to avoid it
43 entirely. Accepting and providing payments are fairly basic operations
44 for legal entities to engage in, even if the foundation were to be
45 dissolved there would still be financial transactions apropos Gentoo.
46 Not to mention that accepting and providing payments are hardly the only
47 areas in which PII is exchanged and/or retained. Having a preference
48 does not change reality; treating that preference as reality when it is
49 counter to reality is, at best, unproductive.
50
51 >>> For this reason, I think it would be a big mistake to allow people to
52 >>> contribute under pseudonyms under the condition that they reveal their
53 >>> real identities to some Gentoo body that would retain this information
54 >>> in confidentiality. That would expose Gentoo to a rather large number
55 >>> of privacy laws in a large number of places, for IMO little gain.
56 >>>
57 >> So, under the mistaken premise that Gentoo does not collect or retain
58 >> any form of PII you believe that Gentoo should not collect or retain any
59 >> PII, correct?
60 >
61 > I never said that Gentoo doesn't collect PII. I said it shouldn't.
62 > And it shouldn't.
63 >
64 How, exactly, would this work in practice?
65
66 >> Knowing that Gentoo does indeed collect and retain some PII, does your
67 >> opinion change?
68 >
69 > No. Obviously whatever PII we do collect needs to be properly
70 > protected, just as we ought to be filing taxes and doing various other
71 > things that we have trouble doing.
72 >
73 Are you deliberately implying that Gentoo has systemic problems with
74 maintaining user confidentiality where required? If so, why?
75
76 > In both cases the problem can simply be avoided by structuring
77 > ourselves in a manner that doesn't introduce the burden of compliance.
78 >
79 Again, you claim that it is a simple matter to restructure services to
80 avoid any retention of PII or the need to comply with regulations
81 regarding PII, and again, I ask you to detail your simple plan. Or at
82 least license the patents to allow Gentoo services to use them.
83
84 >> LDAP, though most of that data is now published in some form it is still
85 >> by and large a collection of PII.
86 >
87 > We should not collect non-public PII in LDAP. There is no harm in
88 > allowing individuals to freely list their names/locations/etc if they
89 > wish, but we shouldn't have anything in the database, other than
90 > passwords or similar credentials, which isn't just published on the
91 > website. Hence there should be nothing to steal (well, other than
92 > passwords, and those are useless after they are changed).
93 >
94 Again, you state your preferences as though they take precedence over
95 reality, while handwaving away any practical considerations, this is not
96 productive.
97
98 Passwords are often considered high value targets for data theft, even
99 if they "are useless after they are changed". You are familiar with the
100 common practice of password reuse, aren't you? It is highly deprecated,
101 and with good reason, but still quite common.
102
103 > As I understand it we've already been pushing to eliminate much of the
104 > PII from LDAP as it is - I'm curious as to what still remains that
105 > would be of concern. In particular I believe the birthdate field was
106 > dropped some time ago. Much of the rest gets published in the
107 > directory/etc and so it isn't anything that isn't open to see.
108 >
109 As I noted, and you even included in your quotation, most of the data is
110 public but not all. Given that this is a public mailing list, I will
111 leave my description of what unpublished PII is present on LDAP as:
112 things which are not typically high value for theft, but still
113 technically PII.
114
115 >>> None of this is intended as some kind of attack on Trustees/Infra/etc.
116 >>> They're volunteers doing the best they can do without pay, and
117 >>> generally trying to clean up after a long period of neglect. It is
118 >>> simply a fact that if you have nothing to steal, then it is impossible
119 >>> to steal it, and no effort is required to protect it.
120 >>
121 >> Believing that you have nothing worth stealing is no defense against
122 >> those who believe that you do and intend to take it.
123 >
124 > I never claimed that we should shield ourselves with "belief." I said
125 > we shouldn't have anything to steal in the first place.
126 >
127 In that case, you are advocating for having no: passwords, password
128 hashes, private e-mail (including security related correspondence), no
129 encryption keys, no signing keys, no pre-release code, no closed source
130 code, no code not meant for release for any reason at all, no
131 confidential data at all, and probably other things that I neglected to
132 list. In short, there would need to be an abolition of all services
133 which were at all secured just to start with complying with your
134 preferences. Dissolving Gentoo as a functional entity to satisfy your
135 preferences with regard to the state of Gentoo seems like it would be
136 rather counterproductive.
137
138 > Sure, that won't stop people from trying. It will definitely stop
139 > them from succeeding.
140 >
141 While we can both agree that you cannot steal something which does not
142 exist, you also cannot use it. By your rationale, I appear to be under
143 the grossly mistaken impression that we are here to make something
144 useful and make that available to ourselves and others to use by means
145 of maintaining basic infrastructure by which it is maintained and
146 supported in addition to the maintenance of the thing itself. Pardon me
147 while I retain, and even attempt to spread, my delusions.