From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: GLEP 76
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 11:14:08
1 On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 12:31 AM desultory <desultory@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > You based your argument on your preference, as opposed to reality.
4
5 This entire thread is about preference. The reality is that you need
6 to use your real name to contribute to Gentoo right now. You would
7 prefer that it be otherwise. There is no harm in expressing that.
8
9 > Accepting and providing payments are fairly basic operations
10 > for legal entities to engage in, even if the foundation were to be
11 > dissolved there would still be financial transactions apropos Gentoo.
12
13 If we were operating under an umbrella org, Gentoo would not be
14 legally responsible for these activities.
15
16 Also, I believe that these activities should STILL be minimized,
17 ideally towards zero. Physical servers and bank accounts are
18 vulnerabilities that can be disrupted. The less you depend on them,
19 the more resilient you are.
20
21 If Gentoo were nothing more than a git repo it would be almost
22 impossible to disrupt its operations as these are trivially
23 replicated. If the services it did run were entirely open they would
24 be trivially mirrored (I mean open everything - not just the upstream
25 code, but all our configs/etc - obviously short of the credentials).
26
27 Yes, I'm obviously speaking aspirationally, but the principle is still
28 valid. IMO FOSS solutions for replacing some of the infra-heavy
29 existing solutions like bugzilla are lacking, so this could be a long
30 road. However, anytime we deploy something new we should be asking
31 whether any Gentoo user can trivially replicate the entire service
32 based on our documentation and published data (ideally with a few
33 lines), ideally including even authentication (no reason a Gentoo
34 credential shouldn't work on a non-Gentoo site in a world where
35 federation is common). If the answer is no, then we're creating a
36 dependency on some black box that could be taken away from us.
37
38 > In that case, you are advocating for having no: passwords, password
39 > hashes, private e-mail (including security related correspondence), no
40 > encryption keys, no signing keys, no pre-release code, no closed source
41 > code, no code not meant for release for any reason at all, no
42 > confidential data at all, and probably other things that I neglected to
43 > list.
44
45 None of those are really PII. However, we should certainly be
46 minimizing our dependence on all of these. We should depend on actual
47 PII even less, and I'm skeptical that we need to retain this at all if
48 we stop operating a legal entity.
49
50 I'm not saying that we'll ever reach zero, but anytime we can
51 accomplish our goals without resorting to using the laundry list of
52 stuff you just provided, we should.
55 Rich