From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: GLEP 76
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2019 04:32:34
1 On 07/03/19 07:13, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 12:31 AM desultory <desultory@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> You based your argument on your preference, as opposed to reality.
5 >
6 > This entire thread is about preference. The reality is that you need
7 > to use your real name to contribute to Gentoo right now. You would
8 > prefer that it be otherwise. There is no harm in expressing that.
9 >
10 That "reality" is, once again, not real. Sure, there is the (practically
11 unverifiable) requirement for signing off commits, but that is hardly
12 the only way to contribute to Gentoo right now.
13
14 >> Accepting and providing payments are fairly basic operations
15 >> for legal entities to engage in, even if the foundation were to be
16 >> dissolved there would still be financial transactions apropos Gentoo.
17 >
18 > If we were operating under an umbrella org, Gentoo would not be
19 > legally responsible for these activities.
20 >
21 > Also, I believe that these activities should STILL be minimized,
22 > ideally towards zero. Physical servers and bank accounts are
23 > vulnerabilities that can be disrupted. The less you depend on them,
24 > the more resilient you are.
25 >
26 Again, I ask: how?
27
28 > If Gentoo were nothing more than a git repo it would be almost
29 > impossible to disrupt its operations as these are trivially
30 > replicated. If the services it did run were entirely open they would
31 > be trivially mirrored (I mean open everything - not just the upstream
32 > code, but all our configs/etc - obviously short of the credentials).
33 >
34 If Gentoo were nothing more than a git repo it would be almost useless.
35 No bug tracking, no integrated communications channels beyond various
36 forms of repo abuse, no user support, no mailing lists, no bespoke
37 package manager, no non-trivial analogs of e.g. eselect, not even
38 documentation outside of a git repo. On the plus side, there would
39 likely be next to no pesky users either.
40
41 > Yes, I'm obviously speaking aspirationally, but the principle is still
42 > valid. IMO FOSS solutions for replacing some of the infra-heavy
43 > existing solutions like bugzilla are lacking, so this could be a long
44 > road. However, anytime we deploy something new we should be asking
45 > whether any Gentoo user can trivially replicate the entire service
46 > based on our documentation and published data (ideally with a few
47 > lines), ideally including even authentication (no reason a Gentoo
48 > credential shouldn't work on a non-Gentoo site in a world where
49 > federation is common). If the answer is no, then we're creating a
50 > dependency on some black box that could be taken away from us.
51 >
52 As with most principles, what validity it has only extends to a point
53 and that point s far and away exceeded by what could loosely be termed
54 your proposals (given that there are no details beyond handwaving away
55 all practical considerations). By your argument, virtually everything
56 hosted on Gentoo controlled infra is a liability, not just bugzilla, but
57 the mailing lists (especially -core), developer mail in general, the
58 forums, the wiki, even your reductive case of gentoo.git would bear some
59 "black box".
60
61 >> In that case, you are advocating for having no: passwords, password
62 >> hashes, private e-mail (including security related correspondence), no
63 >> encryption keys, no signing keys, no pre-release code, no closed source
64 >> code, no code not meant for release for any reason at all, no
65 >> confidential data at all, and probably other things that I neglected to
66 >> list.
67 >
68 > None of those are really PII. However, we should certainly be
69 > minimizing our dependence on all of these. We should depend on actual
70 > PII even less, and I'm skeptical that we need to retain this at all if
71 > we stop operating a legal entity.
72 >
73 Having "nothing to steal" means having nothing that other people value,
74 not just not having one specific class of things other people might value.
75
76 Bearing in mind that none of the things I listed are at all specific to
77 the foundation; how, exactly, would not having a legal entity (good luck
78 with enforcing and defending licensing and the use of marks, among
79 other things) remove the need to have any of the things I listed? Any
80 given one, your choice, how would an existing need for it go away
81 without a legal entity?
82
83 > I'm not saying that we'll ever reach zero, but anytime we can
84 > accomplish our goals without resorting to using the laundry list of
85 > stuff you just provided, we should.
86 >
87 While having preferences for lighter and more open systems is, to an
88 extent, something toward which one can work, the degree of purity
89 testing that you are implying is a virtually guaranteed path to extinction.