From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2016 00:50:29
1 On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 8:27 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Criminal Case. The defendant may appeal a guilty verdict, but the
6 >> government may not appeal if a defendant is found not guilty. Either
7 >> side in a criminal case may appeal with respect to the sentence
8 >> that is
9 >> imposed after a guilty verdict.
10 >>
11 >> Source:
12 >> http://www.uscourts.gov/about-federal-courts/types-cases/appeals
13 >>
14 >> So in short, if you are found not-guilty in a lower court it's over.
15 >> There's nothing more the US government can do.
18 > Well, the US government does lots of dumb things... :)
19 >
20 > However, verdicts generally aren't issued by a judge in the US.
21 > They're usually issued by juries, and this is part of why they're not
22 > appealable. We don't really have juries in Gentoo. I'm not convinced
23 > having them would make things better.
24
25 The constitution forbids issues of fact from being appealed once made
26 by juries, except "according to common law".
27
28 Issues of fact (as opposed to issues of law) in general are given great
29 deference to the trial court by the appeals process.
30
31 As far as "juries", in essence comrel itself acts as a jury.
34 > --
35 > Rich
36 >