From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Rekindling Gentoo News -> Paying for news
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 16:21:15
1 On Monday, January 23, 2017 2:58:25 AM EST Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 16:35:39 -0500
3 >
4 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > I think the concept is still sound. Linode used to offer a $100 for
6 > > documentation. That was so well received, they had to stop the program due
7 > > to the backlog. I would not suggest it for documentation etc. But a
8 > > newsletter, why not.
9 >
10 > I think it would be nice if there was an alternative way to earn newsletter
11 > access via contribution. Because it does seem strange to me to have to pay
12 > for a newsletter that describes what you're doing yourself in part.
13
14 Not paying for newsletter, paying for some of the content. Given an incentive
15 to spend time on something that may not be directly beneficial.
16
17 > It may be worth considering getting volume licensing, ie: advertise to
18 > companies to either buy a block of subscriptions themselves which they can
19 > grant access to X number of people.
20
21 Not sure what you mean by advertise.
22
23 > Or alternatively, instead of relying on a user-pays model in entity, have a
24 > corporate sponsorship scheme where we give out the newsletter for free, but
25 > a company foots a bill in exchange for some thanks/promotional/unobtrusive
26 > advertising.
27
28 Corporate sponsors will only sponsor Gentoo if they have a direct benefit.
29 Right now with how Gentoo is. There is no reason for anyone to give Gentoo
30 money, individual or corporation.
31
32 The more money is put to further development. The more reasons there will be
33 to donate or sponsor Gentoo.
34
35 > IDK. I'm just throwing out ideas and hoping something sticks long enough to
36 > be useful :)
37
38 Ideas are good, but to many toss out ideas not willing to do the work. Or
39 understanding what it will take to make such ideas come to reality.
42 William L. Thomson Jr.