From: "Christopher Díaz Riveros" <chrisadr@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Burden of proof
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 19:52:26
1 El lun, 02-04-2018 a las 14:11 -0500, R0b0t1 escribió:
2 > Hello friends!
3 >
4 > On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 1:20 PM, Christopher Díaz Riveros
5 > <chrisadr@g.o> wrote:
6 > > Daniel,
7 > >
8 > > El lun, 02-04-2018 a las 09:23 -0600, Daniel Robbins escribió:
9 > > > On Mon, Apr 2, 2018 at 7:53 AM, Christopher Díaz Riveros
10 > > > <chrisadr@g.o> wrote:
11 > > > > _You_ can say that this is your Burden of proof that mgorny is
12 > > > > not
13 > > > > capable of being a Council member, but in the same line, _your
14 > > > > post_
15 > > > > shows that you are neither in position to be a good Council
16 > > > > member
17 > > > > or
18 > > > > project lead, at least that's just _my_ opinion about this
19 > > > > post.
20 > > >
21 > > > I am perfectly happy with you having that opinion, because I have
22 > > > never had any intention of being a Council member or project
23 > > > lead,
24 > > > nor "returning BDFL" of Gentoo that mgorny insinuates.
25 > > >
26 > >
27 > > No Daniel, but the fact is that you have history with Gentoo, even
28 > > when
29 > > you don't see yourself trying to be a "leader", you need to act
30 > > like
31 > > one.
32 > >
33 > > This reminds me some horrible local news from my country, where a
34 > > congressman had to made public some videos about corruption that we
35 > > suffer as country, that ended up in the resignation of our
36 > > president.
37 > > Maybe he had to leave, but making pressure by using private videos
38 > > and
39 > > then release them to public, was definetly not he correct way to do
40 > > that.
41 > >
42 > > This is the fact from you fact-list:
43 > >
44 > > You showed the whole mailing list (and leaved a permanent tracking
45 > > file) a conversation that was not previously seen by ComRel (which
46 > > is
47 > > the project who you should try to contact before making this kind
48 > > of
49 > > information public). Even when you are "just another user" here...
50 > > I
51 > > mean, you run Funtoo, you are a public leader, and how could I
52 > > possibly
53 > > trust my leader if he shows private conversations publicly...
54 > > that's a
55 > > fact no matter with whom the conversation is, or what is it about.
58 > While in general I have no business posting here, I think I should
59 > rephrase what it seems you are saying:
60 >
61 > "People should not be held accountable for their actions, because
62 > that
63 > might make them feel bad."
64 >
65 > I would be hard pressed to find people who agree.
68 > Using the (US) legal system as a guide, if I break the law to obtain
69 > evidence of someone *else* breaking the law, that evidence is
70 > admissible (if I remember correctly) because I am not the government.
71 > However, it is likely I would still be prosecuted for whatever law
72 > that I broke, though in some areas any charges might be waived by
73 > statute.
74 >
75 > In a semi-related vein, the majority of US states do not require that
76 > all parties agree to have their correspondence recorded for any of
77 > the
78 > participants to record that correspondence.
81 > It stands to reason that if someone sees you behaving in a manner
82 > they
83 > think others should be made aware of, society already supports making
84 > others aware of those actions, even if custom would be to keep them
85 > private.
88 You may not remember correctly. In some cases evidence as this may be
89 admissible (i agree with that), but that evidence must have a predicate
90 with it. What if all those "logs" are not authentic? (I'm not saying I
91 personally believe that, but that's a valid assumption) This is an
92 internal issue between a group of individuals, let's say just for
93 example mgorny, drobbins and maybe those who Daniel is helping to stop
94 the _abuse_.
95
96 Now, *abuse* is a strong word, and those who read the list may or may
97 not be aware of the whole situation and the whole context from that
98 word. Some of them may even take a side in this discussion and start to
99 think that one or both parties are doing things wrong. That is not
100 correct because this is not the place to bring inter personal issues,
101 as the mailing list states : non-technical discussion (related to
102 Gentoo as a project) and propositions to Council, it does not say
103 intra-developer or advanced users relations.
104
105 And as you say, evidence should be only used in courts, in this case,
106 ComRel should be the group of persons reviewing this evidence, not the
107 whole list and as such people start to "judge" without the whole
108 context.
109
110 And yes, a healthy society does encourage people to speak when things
111 are not going well, but all of that needs to be done between the
112 correct procedures. If that's not the way to solve problems, then we
113 don't have a society.
114
115 Regards,
116 --
117 Christopher Díaz Riveros
118 Gentoo Linux Developer
119 GPG Fingerprint: E517 5ECB 8152 98E4 FEBC 2BAA 4DBB D10F 0FDD 2547