From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Shutting down the Off the Wall
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 20:14:50
1 > On 8 Dec 2020, at 19:40, Andreas Sturmlechner <asturm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Dienstag, 8. Dezember 2020 14:02:09 CET Roy Bamford wrote:
4 >> I think that you have missed the main point I was trying to make.
5 >> The problem is the council destroying their own credibility.
6 >> It just happens that the vehicle of choice is the forums OTW but it
7 >> could hove been anything.
8 >
9 > I can see that you *want* to make a point, but you're telling us that
10 >
11 >> the initial report was an email to council on a closed list, with a
12 >> CC: to the the forums team.
13 >
14 > - when it was sent to -core (yes, a closed list), not council
15 > - and forum-mods in CC: (but they won't reply because of 60s' netiquette)
16 > - neither is it 'the' initial report when we consider the 2019 -project
17 > thread that had remained unresolved
18 > - ...which incidentally also did not get any more forum-mods involvement with
19 > exception of desultory (who seems to speak for all of them all the time?)
20 >
21 > At this point it should be clear that Gentoo devs have concerns about one part
22 > of the forums that go beyond reporting individual incidents and nothing is
23 > stopping forum mods from telling us about their plans, if they have some,
24 > while there even is some upgrade in development that might give new
25 > possibilities. They should know best how to organise themselves, after all,
26 > and I don't see volunteers queueing up for them. Instead we have desultory
27 > going off on tangents and hardening some us-vs-them sentiment while the next
28 > Council meeting is approaching and this topic is very foreseeable - and here
29 > we are.
30 >
31 > For me, with OTW hidden from public a minimum goal was met (and it should have
32 > happened a long time ago), but I can see why it is not enough for others. The
33 > trash produced in OTW by non-Gentoo-affiliated members is in no relation to
34 > the role it serves in keeping the support forums clean, and I doubt you can
35 > easily change such a long established subculture without making a clean cut,
36 > but you may as well prove me wrong.
39 I’d just like to add that this reflects my views - and others I know of - who just
40 want a practical solution here, and are speaking based on real concerns rather
41 than some hidden motivation.
42
43 I think the forums are valuable as a support venue and I just want to move forward
44 without deeply controversial content being associated with our distribution - and understand the plans
45 of the forum moderators in future.
46
47 I look forward to hearing practical suggestions on moving forwarding and assuaging our concerns from
48 the forums team (in an accessible layout/format).
49
50 > Regards
51
52 Best,