From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Representation of Gentoo on third-party platforms
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 12:30:46
1 On 13/11/16 12:25, Alice Ferrazzi wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 7:33 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 >> On 13/11/16 02:18, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 8:58 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
5 >>>> On 13/11/16 01:54, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
6 >>>>> On 11/13/2016 02:53 AM, M. J. Everitt wrote:
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>>>>> With respect, Kristian, I really don't believe we have a problem with
9 >>>>>>>> technical matters ... ;]
10 >>>>>>>>
11 >>>>>>> The description above is a normative description of how things works in
12 >>>>>>> the general case, which doesn't involve comrel. The latter is only
13 >>>>>>> involved when the usual dispute resolution is not applicable due to
14 >>>>>>> personnel making technical issues personal.
15 >>>>>>>
16 >>>>>> Ok so for the sake of clarity, we have a purely technical issue, which
17 >>>>>> is either right or wrong .. and then someone takes it as a personal
18 >>>>>> affront, instead of being mature and professional, and accepting the
19 >>>>>> correction, learning the lesson, to put into practise in future. So
20 >>>>>> instead of the issue being purely technical .. said person MAKES it
21 >>>>>> personal .. and therefore themselves causes a conflict .. which requires
22 >>>>>> some form of Discipline .. which breeds hate .. and ...
23 >>>>>>
24 >>>>>> .. you see where I'm going .. ?!
25 >>>>>>
26 >>>>> At which point ComRel is the applicable body
27 >>>>>
28 >>>> And this is where I think we are all going wrong ........ it should
29 >>>> indeed never *ever* reach that point. Are we not all agreed on that
30 >>>> point maybe???
31 >>>>
32 >>> Sure. Honestly, very few issues should ever reach the Council, and
33 >>> certainly not Comrel.
34 >>>
35 >>> But, they do, and they end up having to be dealt with.
36 >>>
37 >>> If everybody behaves the way they ought to then they'll resolve issues
38 >>> on their own.
39 >>>
40 >>> And it is much better to escalate an issue and get it dealt with than
41 >>> just fight WW3 over it at the ground level. That doesn't mean that
42 >>> you escalate it before you try to deal with it. It means that you
43 >>> escalate it when it is apparent that you're not getting anywhere.
44 >>>
45 >> I think there is a poor culture in Gentoo that all conflicts should
46 >> immediately be referred to ComRel, which I think puts undue burden on
47 >> them for dealing with stupid matters that a single night's sleep and a
48 >> fresh face ought to resolve. One of the first questions a ComRel officer
49 >> should therefore ask FIRST is "have you honestly, (count to 10 and think
50 >> about it) exhausted all possible other methods?". This is probably worth
51 >> even documenting. Sure, posting a quick mail to put something on record
52 >> is fine, and perhaps there should be a more anonymous method of
53 >> reporting abuse, so that secrecy isn't required .. Proposition for
54 >> further thought/bike-shedding welcome.
55 >>
56 > Looks like is already documented.
57 >
58 > From ComRel Project page:
59 > "Community Relations may also act after all other attempts to solve the
60 > issue have failed. Developers are encouraged to try to solve the issue
61 > among themselves in a civil manner before they reach out to Community
62 > Relations. Developers within a project engaged in a personal conflict
63 > may wish to consult with the project lead. Although leads are not
64 > necessarily qualified to resolve personal disputes, technical issues
65 > resulting in conflict can often be resolved within the project without
66 > Community Relations involvement.
67 >
68 > Community Relations becomes involved when the above two methods have
69 > failed."
70 >
71 > The above two methods are try to deal it in civil manner and if possible
72 > consult with the Project Leader before escalating to ComRel.
73 >
74 Hi Alice,
75
76 Technically you're correct, but this is a wiki page and not a GLEP and
77 as such isn't binding. There seems to be a general trend (which I cannot
78 historically substantiate) that the procedure, although valid, isn't
79 being correctly and timely followed (NB: There is no criticism of the
80 members here). I think that the project page does form a good basis, but
81 we need to move to something a little more substantial that the members
82 and greater community (not just devs) can get behind.
83
84 Cheers! :)