From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] improving alternative PM support in gentoo
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 10:17:38
1 On 08/17/2015 09:26 AM, Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > On 16 August 2015 at 01:24, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >> My aim would be that all our main support channels like #gentoo, the
4 >> user mailing lists, the forums and so on treat user discussions
5 >> regarding alternative package managers in (almost) the same way as Portage.
6 >
7 > Since most Gentoo users (and I include the developers here) have
8 > little to no experience with those alternatives, they can't be
9 > expected to answer specific support questions about them. Of course we
10 > can always refer to our wiki, and apply general principles (PMS in the
11 > case of package manager functioning).
12 >
13 >> That also means that we would have to integrate these alternatives in
14 >> our documentation, hopefully the official one. Because I think our
15 >> official documentation should discuss package managers in the same way
16 >> it discusses file systems. So, it is fine to recommend e.g. Portage and
17 >> ext4 as the main examples, but we should also mention zfs, btrfs,
18 >> Paludis, Pkgcore (when it catches up) and so on.
19 >> In the case of Paludis, the upstream documentation[4] is quite technical
20 >> and doesn't give a concise enough introduction for Gentoo beginners, who
21 >> want to follow a step-by-step guide. Because of that, I have written up
22 >> such a guide and proposed it to be included in the official Gentoo
23 >> handbook[5][6].
24 >
25 > The wiki is now our official documentation, and there is plenty of
26 > space for any guides you wish to add.
27 >
28 > But I would like to keep the Handbook as such simple. It is
29 > overwhelming enough as it is, for newcomers, so let's not overload it
30 > with explanations of alternatives. I think we should just offer one
31 > default path, and point to alternatives that are documented in other
32 > parts of the wiki. (This should also be done, for example, with the
33 > part about LILO.)
36 I know several users and Gentoo developers who have experience with
37 those alternatives. I'm not sure any of us has numbers, though.
38
39 The problem is not only the lack of documentation, but also that those
40 users sometimes get shut down in official support channels when they
41 want to help other users who are asking about these alternatives. That
42 is something we need to improve if we don't want to lose our face as a
43 meta-distribution (which we fought for with openrc/systemd and so on).
44
45 The best way to improve this is to make it part of the handbook, for
46 various reasons. The handbook is already part of the wiki. I think it is
47 the right place to introduce users to sensible (not random) choices.
48 That is what the handbook already does, starting at network setup, over
49 to disk partitioning and kernel configuration. All these choices are
50 important and vital parts of your system you want to configure. In the
51 case of a PM, you will want it configured and set up as early as
52 possible in your installation procedure.
53
54 These choices are not cluttering the handbook, but are clearly
55 distinguished with prefixes like "Optional: " or "Alternative: ", so the
56 user knows he can skip that if he wants. The point I can see is that we
57 could improve usability on the wiki side, by having alternative sections
58 hidden by default for example.
59
60 I don't think users will like to go through a default installation and
61 realize later on they have to revert/migrate half of it (which can take
62 a long time for PM configuration), because they wanted different system
63 tools, which were not part of the handbook.