From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo Council nominee 2018/19 questions
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 14:35:29
1 Ühel kenal päeval, K, 27.06.2018 kell 10:25, kirjutas Michał Górny:
2 > 1. Do you believe that Council members should respect the requests of
3 > the developer community even if they disagree with them? Or should
4 > Council members decide based on their own judgment of arguments
5 > presented?
6
7 Council members should decide based on their own judgment, after having
8 put in sufficient thought, research and opinions of the developer
9 community.
10
11 This is how such election based bodies generally work, really, as K_F
12 has already expressed.
13 You vote for someone you believe to have similar views and trust them
14 to make thought out decisions, while advocating for what you want when
15 you feel strongly towards it, but not having to worry about it
16 otherwise, as there's someone you voted to do it for you.
17
18 Example: there's a heated debate, and the majority of respondents
19 > request that X is implemented. However, after reading all the
20 > arguments
21 > you don't think that X is a good idea but you haven't managed to
22 > convince others. Would you vote for X (as your electorate demands)
23 > or against it (as you believe is better for the distro)?
24
25 Just following requests from developer community leads to issues like
26 rubber stamping vocal minority, voting without research and thought. An
27 elected persons job is to serve the electorate that voted for him/her.
28 The election is anonymous, so you should assume you got voted in by
29 people who believe your judgment is good for their views and for the
30 elected body as a whole. Not a potential vocal minority, spur of the
31 moment topics and so on.
32
33 If this is truly a high majority that wants the decision to be
34 implement, then a simple majority of council members will almost surely
35 think the same.
36 If not, there will be the option to adjust your votes distribution next
37 time.
38 In many other places the terms are much longer than a year (e.g. 4-7
39 years in democratic politics), and in the grand scheme of things,
40 things work. 1 year is much less. I don't see how just rubber stamping
41 a _perceived_ majority does us any good.
45 > 2. Do you believe that the Council should proactively research the
46 > state
47 > of affairs and make decisions whenever they believe the direction
48 > of the distribution needs to be adjusted? Or should it be passive
49 > and avoid involvement unless developers explicitly request Council's
50 > intervention?
51
52 As I've expressed in my last years manifesto as well[1], I believe the
53 council members should be leaders in Gentoo, individually. That means
54 being proactive, finding global issues, describing them, empowering
55 people to fix it, etc. This isn't something that needs one to be a
56 member of the council, but I think it's the kind of people we need on
57 the council.
58 However council as a whole (in particular its voting) should be a
59 backup when consensus seeking fails, or really global matters need the
60 technical review decision (e.g. EAPIs).
61
62 > 3. Do you believe the developer community should hold the power
63 > to veto or dissolve the Council at any point? Provided there's a
64 > global
65 > developer vote agreeing on that.
66
67 Given the 1 year only term and the potential for the next council to
68 overturn things, I'm not sure it's something very important. However if
69 such a thing is done, it should not be based on a majority of those who
70 voted, but either a majority of eligible voters or a super-majority
71 (66%, 75%, something like that) of who vote.
72
73 We don't want to end up with every decision questioned and a general
74 developer vote called for all of them. Gentoo developers want to spend
75 their scarce free time improving Gentoo, not cast votes.
76
77 Regarding a general vote, I think there are places for it, e.g. the
78 council itself decides it needs global input from all developers to
79 make a decision that isn't otherwise clear (especially cases where
80 opinion matters a lot, while being a rather important decision to make
81 overall too).
84 [1] https://dev.gentoo.org/~leio/council/manifesto-2017.txt
87 Mart