From: John Helmert III <ajak@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Libera migration summary
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 16:41:11
1 On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 06:20:40PM +0200, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On 2021-05-22 18:37, Alec Warner wrote:
5 > > So my biggest problem is again governance; is there any transparency
6 > > on continuity of *Libera* or will someone just sell it again in 2
7 > > years?
8 >
9 > That's also my problem with Libera: I know they are new and ramping up a
10 > new service but at the moment all we have are promises.
11
12 I think it's obvious they're seasoned IRC network operators. Even if
13 there are hiccups at first they're surely experienced enough to keep
14 things going in the long term.
15
16 > It's good to read they plan to create a non-profit organization but we
17 > all know that this isn't easy. You have to do it first.
18 >
19 > And having a non-profit organization is one thing (I actually don't care
20 > about non-profit that much as long as I am not involved/contributing;
21 > I.e. even a Ferengi might provide a good IRC service). I am more
22 > interested in the organization itself. Who is owning the servers? Who is
23 > in control? Who has access?
26 > >> Reasons for migration to Libera: 1) Libera is the continuity
27 > >> choice. irc.freenode.net has no relationship with the previous
28 > >> freenode of the last 15 years other than the domain name and some
29 > >> sponsored servers. (Libera is already building up sponsorship and
30 > >> servers - it is not, as was alluded to on another thread, purely
31 > >> cloud/their own infrastructure.)
32 > >
33 > > I'm not sure what this means; how is Libera 'the continuity choice'?
34 > > Is it: Because the ex-freenode staff have asked us to move there?
35 > > Because we have a strong relationship with that staff? Because many
36 > > other projects are moving there? Some other reason?
37 >
38 > Same thoughts. The relation ship is nice but in the end it has no value:
39 > You can only look back at 15 years if things will change... not really
40 > an argument (see the distracted boyfriend meme). Also: I don't see any
41 > reason why we shouldn't be able to build up something similar with OFTC
42 > for example.
45 > > Sam wrote:
46 > >> 2) We have a strong working relationship with the staff at Libera.
47 > >>
48 > >> For example, they immediately reserved our namespace (this means
49 > >> #gentoo-*) to prevent any hostile takeovers while we make
50 > >> decisions.
51 >
52 > All nice but not an argument either.
55 > >> 3) The vast majority of developers are not involved in IRC
56 > >> administration or indeed the migration efforts and may not be aware
57 > >> of the actual issues involved with coordinating with a new team. We
58 > >> are working with exactly the same people on Libera who understand
59 > >> what we require and have been working with us tirelessly to setup
60 > >> new cloaks, channels, and other special arrangements.
61 >
62 > Again, nice. But in case this should imply we can't have something
63 > similar with OFTC, this is wrong/disrespectful against other services
64 > (yes, you don't mean it that way, I just wanted to write it out).
67 > >> 4) Compare this with the current state of #gentoo-groupcontacts on
68 > >> Freenode which has 0 staff members. If we wanted to add/remove a
69 > >> new developer, or handle any other issues, there is simply nobody
70 > >> available to speak to.
71 >
72 > Sorry, right now this is an invalid argument: Freenode staff stepped
73 > down. We cannot blame them, that they don't have people at the moment.
74 > If you say that 15y relationship have some value, we should grant
75 > freenode some time to get the current situation sorted. Not?
76
77 Surely the "15y relationship" refers to the relationship with the people
78 (who are no longer at Freenode) rather than the abstract of "Freenode".
79
80 > But this is about freenode, I guess this train is moving so I can stop
81 > talking about freenode.
84 > >> 5) Freenode is currently experiencing high turnover of new IRC
85 > >> operators/administrators, some of which have dubious connections to
86 > >> Rizon and other controversial IRC networks. It’s clear that, even
87 > >> if they are skilled individuals, they haven’t been trained on the
88 > >> current way of working at Freenode given they’re not in any of the
89 > >> usual mediums we use to handle *projects*.
90 > >
91 > > Why is Rizon controversial? Note that freenode was attacked with
92 > > spambots repeatedly in the past (GNAA, other attacks) and freenode
93 > > admins struggled fighting the attacks for months. So why do we care
94 > > about spambot attacks now, as opposed to in the past? Or are the
95 > > attacks just a pretense we are using to move for other reasons?
96 >
97 > I second your questions. I think the controversial is based on
98 > https://twitter.com/ariadneconill/status/1395347865271246853
101 > My problem with Libera.chat is, that I feel instrumentalized and I don't
102 > want to get pulled into whatever is going on there. I think gyakovlev
103 > wrote, "This is not about who is right..." but it will become "who is
104 > right" if we follow former freenode staff. Is it a problem? I don't
105 > really now (how should anyone know that? All we have is hearsay/leaks we
106 > cannot verify). Many Gentoo people probably don't know what happened
107 > many years ago
108 > (https://twitter.com/flameeyes/status/1395042943392751621). Why did we
109 > let that happen and had no discussion about moving away from freenode
110 > when one of us got attacked? But today, when Gentoo is not directly
111 > affected, we are happy to move?
114 > >> 4) We’re not the only project to be moving. We’re far from being
115 > >> the first large FOSS project to move. This means that *if*, in the
116 > >> unlikely event this is the wrong decision, we’re in very good
117 > >> company. We’re joined by Ubuntu and CentOS for a start. 5) Large
118 > >> swathes of spambots continue to flood freenode given there's a
119 > >> vacuum left by the lack of administration.
120 >
121 > For me, this is the only but also strongest argument for Libera.Chat:
122 > IRC is only successful when our users are around. And users will be,
123 > where their projects are (nobody really wants to maintain multiple
124 > networks if not necessary, not?). So you will be in any Gentoo channel
125 > because you use Gentoo for example but when you have a problem with a
126 > KDE application, you just want to jump into KDE's support channel
127 > without switching network first...
130 > >> Reasons against OFTC *for now*: 1) Lack of developer/project cloaks
131 > >> (but dwfreed has indicated it’s _possible_ this can change in
132 > >> future)
133 > >>
134 > >> 2) Outdated/unconventional services and IRC daemon. This includes
135 > >> lack of SASL support and unusual/missing features in e.g.
136 > >> ChanServ. This is the general opinion in the “IRC community” too.
137 > >> Note that OFTC staff are trying to improve this but it will take
138 > >> time.
139 > >
140 > > What is the suboptimal outcome of this? I read this as "things are
141 > > different from freenode" which is not the same thing as "key
142 > > features of chanserv are missing." If they are missing, what are
143 > > they?
144 >
145 > OFTC will be different, yes. But they already have a stable foundation
146 > and aren't built on promises that they have yet to prove.
147
148 I am somewhat struggling to see a difference between the Freenode of
149 "yesterday" and the Libera of today. Organizations tend to be the sum of
150 their parts, in this case it's people. They've proven they're capable of
151 running Freenode for a long time, I see no reason they wouldn't be able
152 to do the same with a network of another name.
153
154 > --
155 > Regards,
156 > Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
157 > fpr: C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5