From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Libera migration summary
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 16:54:25
1 On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 12:41 PM John Helmert III <ajak@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I am somewhat struggling to see a difference between the Freenode of
4 > "yesterday" and the Libera of today. Organizations tend to be the sum of
5 > their parts, in this case it's people. They've proven they're capable of
6 > running Freenode for a long time, I see no reason they wouldn't be able
7 > to do the same with a network of another name.
8
9 I tend to agree. I don't think that the former Freenode volunteers
10 are super-entwined in Gentoo, but I can sympathize as we are a similar
11 sort of entirely-volunteer-driven organization.
12
13 If some outside organization were to sue the Gentoo Foundation, win
14 the lawsuit, and be awarded the Gentoo trademark/etc, and suddenly we
15 find somebody taking over our DNS, infra, and so on, and telling us
16 we're welcome to stick around if we just follow the rules, I imagine
17 that most of us would see Gentoo being about the community and not the
18 name and some particular pieces of server hardware. Gentoo might have
19 to live on under another name, but it would still be Gentoo in spirit
20 if the community moves.
21
22 I also think this just reflects the risks when you depend on outside
23 organizations. The new Libera staff may very well run into another
24 issue like this be in next year or in another 15 years, and we'll just
25 have to deal with that when it happens. While I actually wouldn't
26 mind ditching IRC at some point, simply switching IRC networks isn't
27 actually all that difficult to do technically - you just have to
28 change some DNS names in a couple of services/etc. Maybe next time it
29 will be the Gentoo Twitter account that gets taken over due to some
30 change in Twitter policy, or our Reddit site, or whatever. We can't
31 control these services and people need to do a reality check if it
32 looks like they might have gotten taken over - that isn't a reason to
33 never use outside social media/etc. It is just an argument for
34 remembering how the cloud works.
37 Rich