From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 15:29:10
1 On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:11:29 PM EST Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm sorry but I feel like I'm completely lost here. If the board is not
4 > actually to be a separate entity, then what is changing exactly?
5 > And what's the problem being solved, now?
6
7 1. Clarify the structure of Gentoo and eliminate this perception of 2 headed
8 beast. Having two entities in silo's. Mostly a mental change, as this
9 structure someone exists already.
10
11 2. Solving the problem of having 2 top level entities for a project that are
12 not unified nor working together, etc. It is an initial step, mostly a logical
13 one. Next would be on having them work together, duties, roles, checks and
14 balances, etc.
15
16 People keep seeing things as 2 entities but there really is 1 Gentoo.
17 Foundation owns it all, is legally responsible, and liable. Thus is just
18 unifying that structure. People are making it out to be more.
19
20 Now if voting pools are unified, and things like council and Trustees merge,
21 this will be a much bigger more contestable change. Right now it is mostly a
22 superficial change, and first step.
23
24 Next steps may be more controversial and have more of an impact. This really
25 would not have any if nothing changes other than how people see Gentoo. Since
26 this is how things are now, just most do not agree that it is such. This is
27 bringing everyone into agreeance really, superficial change.
30 William L. Thomson Jr.