From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Fundraising for incremental service level
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 23:21:13
1 On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 3:36 PM Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Hi Alec,
5 >
6 > Thanks for your comments.
7 > My impression is that what you discuss is a bit detached from what I meant.
8 > My bad! Will try to point that out.
9 >
10 > On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 12:00:45AM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
11 > > On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 6:04 PM Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin@g.o>
12 > > wrote:
13 > >
14 > > > Summary:
15 > > > Could we please look for the possibilities to deliver more, given extra
16 > > > reward
17 > > > from users interested in that happening?
18 > > >
19 > >
20 > > So I'm trying to understand the goals here. I see nominally two goals:
21 > >
22 > > (1) We develop some kind of valuation function where we have some project
23 > > proposals and we 'fundraise' for them and the proposals with the most
24 > funds
25 > > / valuation get selected. This doesn't imply that there are actual
26 > dollars;
27 > > but it's simply a means (one of many potential methods) to rank
28 > proposals.
29 > > Basically this is your description of "figure out what users value."
30 > > (2) Once we determine (via 1) what proposals users want, how do we
31 > actually
32 > > make these happen? This is where we come to things like actual
33 > fundraising
34 > > of real money, finding people to do the projects, getting them the money,
35 > > etc.
36 > >
37 > > I would argue that in theory these are separate activities; it might be
38 > > valuable to do 1 and not 2.
39 >
40 > I don't believe in (1) detached from (2), because valuation without
41 > willingness
42 > to pay has no credibility to me. I also think it's just not going to work
43 > because without bringing in more resource you have reallocate it, that is,
44 > take
45 > it from somewhere where it currently is, aka "rob Paul to pay Peter".
48 Valuation without willingness can certainly lead to some exciting
49 challenges in ranking, certainly. I understand your reticence to trust such
50 valuations.
51
52 I'm not suggesting we cannot get more resources for Gentoo. I might suggest
53 that "someone" should be in charge of vetting the work that is funded to
54 make sure it aligns with Gentoo's mission so we avoid the money-trap.
62 > Whatever values and priorities we currently have, if it doesn't take more
63 > resources (read: money) to do well enough on them, why aren't we done
64 > already?
67 Perhaps being overly cynical here but I'm not entirely convinced the Gentoo
68 Developer community actually shares very many priorities; and I think this
69 is perhaps one reason why progress is slow on many initiatives.
73 > > I'd perhaps go more generic than your customer success narrative; but
74 > again
75 > > this is more about my point (1) than about point (2).
76 > > If you just did (1) in the community, its plausible to do separately with
77 > > sufficient fundraising activity.
78 >
79 > My idea is around bringing in extra funding and spending it for the
80 > purposes
81 > which have attracted this funding.
84 I agree that if we fundraise for specific activities we may get more money.
85 I'm not sure this is certain but i think it does follow logically. There
86 are other trade offs in having 1 bucket of money versus N buckets of money.
90 > It seems to me you are thinking more about allocating the currently
91 > available
92 > resources (volunteer time, available unconditional donations) towards some
93 > goals set by some governing body. This may work for some orgs, but I think
94 > won't work in case of Gentoo, because we're kind of an anarchy as in
95 > everybody
96 > does what they want.
99 I don't really follow. How is the Anarchy a problem? To take an example,
100 lets say you pick my proposal (to replace rsync with git for all users.)
101 You raise 10,000 to do the work and fund the infrastructure for 2 years.
102
103 How does Gentoo's Anarchy affect this project in your model?
104 How does Gentoo's Anarchy affect this project in a model where the
105 Foundation raised 10,000$ and paid you to do the work?
109 > > So I think we can, somewhat, get away from this framing. Just get the
110 > > community to pitch N projects and rank them. Offhand I can think of a
111 > few:
112 >
113 > (a list of 9 items follows)
114 >
115 > Ok, what's next with that?
116 > Who's willing to pay for any of that being done?
117 > If you suggest Foundation to pay for that, then I'd suggest instead that
118 > Foundation comes up with their own list.
121 To be clear this is a made up list; so I'm not sure we need to move on any
122 of these items. They were simply examples.
126 > > > * demonstrate the level of user focus of Gentoo developers
127 > > >
128 > >
129 > > I don't understand how this is valuable;
130 >
131 > Would it tell you anything if Gentoo developers fail to raise reasonable
132 > funds
133 > for any conceived improvement which is not going to happen by chance alone?
134 >
135 > It would tell me that evidently the vision the developers hold is
136 > irrelevant to
137 > the user community, because one of these has to be true:
138 >
139 > * too few users rely on Gentoo for anything useful or important, and users
140 > are
141 > not going to be better off even if it improves, or
142 > * Gentoo developers don't understand why people use Gentoo and how it
143 > improves
144 > their lives.
145 >
146 > So, the more is raised for any causes, the better Gentoo stands in my eyes.
149 So our job as developers here is to deliver a better open source product to
150 our users and you see this as a way to kind of measure demand for new
151 features and fund more ambitious proposals that you think don't happen in
152 the current project model?
156 > > > * channel more community resources towards Gentoo development,
157 > > > where community needs it most.
158 > > >
159 > >
160 > > So community resources are currently channeled towards the Foundation.
161 > > Admittedly the Foundation runs a surplus so there is definitely room for
162 > > reallocation.
163 >
164 > I'd put the emphasis on "more" in my phrase.
165 > Currently Foundation gets some unconditional donations.
166 > For example, street beggars also get some money, similarly in unconditional
167 > donations.
168 > But literally any sort of product seller or service provider is much more
169 > interesting for giving them money in practice, because they give something
170 > in
171 > return and the only way for you to get that usefulness is to give your
172 > money.
173 >
174 > Perhaps it sounds distasteful to say "let's turn Gentoo into a service
175 > provider", so I'd say: let's be less of a beggar.
178 Note that the Foundation does not really *actively* raise money or
179 resources. Most of them are just given to us.
180
181 - We received $25,000 in AWS credits because a kind user worked at Amazon
182 and helped us sign up for their OSS program.
183 - We received $7,000 in hardware from Google because we needed some new
184 boxes and I knew the people in the Google OSS program and asked them for
185 money / resources.
186 - Most of our infra hosting providers we know from community members or
187 infra contacts whom we often ask to donate hardware or saw our hardware
188 donation pages.
189 - We participate in GSOC many summers and the Foundation receives the
190 mentor stipend for each student.
191
192 These are activities done by the community, not by the board (although we
193 definitely appreciate them.) I think that regardless of the kickstarter
194 fashion type ideas if we went tax-exempt and actually staffed fundraising
195 we could raise more money for Gentoo. It would help if we had a plan of
196 activities for the nonprofit so that we could raise money in good faith for
197 prospective donators.
198
199 -A