From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Aggregated status whiteboard for projects
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 12:45:05
1 On Mon, 2019-06-17 at 15:39 +0300, Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 > On 6/4/19 2:35 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > Right now we lack a consisted aggregated source of project status. Some
6 > > projects report their progress via website news, some use various
7 > > mailing lists, some don't report status at all. I'd like to propose
8 > > a new method for publishing an opt-in 'status whiteboard' for projects.
9 > >
10 > > The idea is to create a special template on wiki. The projects
11 > > interested in publishing their status would use the template to put it
12 > > on the page. As a result, besides being published as part of project
13 > > page it would be aggregated for machine processing.
14 > >
15 > > Then, we'd create a simple aggregated listing of all projects publishing
16 > > their status.
17 >
18 > This sounds a bit vague currently, and for me it's quite hard to imagine
19 > what you exactly mean. Maybe some simple mock-up would help to explain
20 > it better? Is the "status" indicator simply 'active/inactive'? Do you
21 > write your own goals and then set it 'in good health / behind intended
22 > progress'? How does it get defined, automatically or manually? Because
23 > if it's manually written, projects can be set 'active' now but forgotten
24 > in weeks. If it's automatic, how does it get defined?
27 I mean having a free-form aggregated list like:
28
29 GNOME: 3.30 stable, working on 3.3x in ::gnome
30
31 LLVM: current stable 7.1.0, 8.0.1 expected on ... and stable ...
32
33 Proxy-maint: long PR backlog, currently not processing new packages
34
35 Xfce: Xfce 4.14 RC1 now in ~arch, 4.14 final expected on ...
36
37 etc. Basically anything you'd like to tell others. Possibly something
38 PR people can use afterwards to make news or presentations about status
39 of Gentoo.
42 Best regards,
43 Michał Górny