From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Aggregated status whiteboard for projects
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 12:39:25
1 On 6/4/19 2:35 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Right now we lack a consisted aggregated source of project status. Some
5 > projects report their progress via website news, some use various
6 > mailing lists, some don't report status at all. I'd like to propose
7 > a new method for publishing an opt-in 'status whiteboard' for projects.
8 >
9 > The idea is to create a special template on wiki. The projects
10 > interested in publishing their status would use the template to put it
11 > on the page. As a result, besides being published as part of project
12 > page it would be aggregated for machine processing.
13 >
14 > Then, we'd create a simple aggregated listing of all projects publishing
15 > their status.
18 This sounds a bit vague currently, and for me it's quite hard to imagine
19 what you exactly mean. Maybe some simple mock-up would help to explain
20 it better? Is the "status" indicator simply 'active/inactive'? Do you
21 write your own goals and then set it 'in good health / behind intended
22 progress'? How does it get defined, automatically or manually? Because
23 if it's manually written, projects can be set 'active' now but forgotten
24 in weeks. If it's automatic, how does it get defined?
27 I think the purpose here is to spot inactive projects easier? Depending
28 how this is implemented, I don't believe it will help the situation with
29 inactive projects at all, and may deceive the status even more.
33 > The exact data reported is unspecified. For example, it could state
34 > the current releases, what the project is currently working on, etc.
35 > The primary purpose would be to let users and developers know better
36 > what's happening inside Gentoo. The secondary purpose would be to
37 > provide a quick health check.
38 >
39 > What do you think?
42 I comply with this and encourage more projects to update their wiki
43 pages, and keep them active. Such as project goals and current status.
44 Some projects already do this quite well, like Gnome. There are people
45 reading.
50 juippis