From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 15:06:55
1 On Wednesday, January 11, 2017 4:59:49 AM EST Matthew Thode wrote:
2 >
3 > On second thought, I think that under the board there will still be a
4 > council for general technical matters that you would still be electable
5 > towards.
6
7 I think in any merge it would be best to keep existing structure, just unify
8 and have means for them to work together rather than in their own silo.
9
10 > In the next version of this (1.1) I think I'm leaning towards
11 > the 'board' being what is currently trustees + hr(comrel) + pr + infra.
12 > Under that would go what is currently being done by council.
13 >
14 > I think rich0 proposed the merged board having the functionality of both
15 > council and trustees, but I'm not sure that'd work with your concerns.
16
17 I think merging Trustees and Council is a mistake. It would reduce any checks
18 and balances, and combine focus of the two bodies, possibly getting less done.
19
20 I see the Council as more running the project, and Trustees overseeing such,
21 helping where they can, etc. Each can have their own roles duties, but the
22 Council still being the main/core entity leading the project technically.
25 William L. Thomson Jr.