From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Gentoo Foundation
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 22:13:16
1 On 19-06-27 00:06:05, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 6/27/19 12:03 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
3 > > On 6/26/19 11:54 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:
4 > >> On 19-06-26 21:45:48, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
5 > >>> On 6/25/19 1:23 AM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
6 > >>>> To the Council nominees, I put forward the following questions, around
7 > >>>> the Gentoo Foundation:
8 > >>>>
9 > >>>> 1. What's your opinion of the past relationship between the Council &
10 > >>>> Foundation?
11 > >>>
12 > >>> The council has been critical of the way the foundation has been run,
13 > >>> for good reasons.
14 > >>>
15 > >>
16 > >> Do you mind enumerating the reasons and the actions you wish to see
17 > >> taken?
18 > >
19 > > The foundation has failed to run an operation in accordance with the
20 > > laws and legislation of a foundation when it comes to, in particular,
21 > > accounting matters of a number of years, which is a disgrace. The
22 > > primary responsibility of the board of directors and its officers is to
23 > > ensure that the foundation comply with applicable laws and file the
24 > > necessary paperwork for its operation for things including tax matters.
25 >
26 > the other thing the foundation is responsible for is protecting
27 > copyright, in this case there isn't a significant issue, but it needs to
28 > keep track of, and defend against, others using the Gentoo brand for
29 > various cases (since most of Gentoo Foundation IP is tied to the
30 > logo/brand) and no anything related to the actual code (that belongs to
31 > other copyright owners)
34 This one I think we have done well at, mainly sending C&D emails/letters
35 as needed (which it generally is not needed).
36
37 Beyond the above two points, as a follow on question.
38
39 1. How would you work to improve the relationship with the foundation?
42 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)