From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council / Git Migration Agenda
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 01:27:39
1 On 10/05/2014 10:18 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 2:00 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 >> I was thinking that it might make more sense to just make things
5 >> really simple and ONLY migrate the active tree into the starting
6 >> git repository. That is, basically take the rsync tree, remove
7 >> metadata, and do a git init. (Then follow that up with removing
8 >> changelogs, cleaning up cvs headers, and so on.)
9 >>
10 >> A historical migration could be done in parallel and released a
11 >> few hours later. However, it would not be a contiguous
12 >> repository. That is, the converted active tree commit would not
13 >> have any parents. If you wanted to have a contiguous tree you
14 >> would need to splice in the historical migration with git
15 >> replace.
16 >
17 > I think that would be sad. IMO there should be full history to the
18 > default tree (even if we advocate shallow clones by default). Yes,
19 > the history might not be perfect; people can splice in an improved
20 > history later with git replace. I would be disappointed if the git
21 > hash for the default tree doesn't represent (some version of) the
22 > full history.
25 We've been chasing the dream of perfect git migration for a few years
26 now without a definite result. It's time to make compromises unless
27 you want to stick with a tool from the '80s for the rest of your
28 gentoo life.