From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-scm@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council / Git Migration Agenda
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2014 08:18:47
1 On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 2:00 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > I was thinking that it might make more sense to just make things
3 > really simple and ONLY migrate the active tree into the starting git
4 > repository. That is, basically take the rsync tree, remove metadata,
5 > and do a git init. (Then follow that up with removing changelogs,
6 > cleaning up cvs headers, and so on.)
7 >
8 > A historical migration could be done in parallel and released a few
9 > hours later. However, it would not be a contiguous repository. That
10 > is, the converted active tree commit would not have any parents. If
11 > you wanted to have a contiguous tree you would need to splice in the
12 > historical migration with git replace.
13
14 I think that would be sad. IMO there should be full history to the
15 default tree (even if we advocate shallow clones by default). Yes, the
16 history might not be perfect; people can splice in an improved history
17 later with git replace. I would be disappointed if the git hash for
18 the default tree doesn't represent (some version of) the full history.
19
20 Cheers,
21
22 Dirkjan