From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Council oversee the Foundation 2.0
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 20:52:02
1 On Monday, January 16, 2017 2:38:08 PM EST Dale wrote:
2 >
3 > Thanks much. So far what I've read on the SPI site is along the lines
4 > of what you have posted. I do believe that Debian is special as you
5 > posted in another post tho. Also, this is what I found about legal
6 > services:
7
8 Very welcome and I must say one of the few times I have ever been thanked :)
9
10 > "SPI has access to legal counsel which the board may consult on behalf
11 > of the project, at the discretion of the board."
12 >
13 > To me, that seems to be very limited and may not even be available
14 > depending on whether SPI thinks it's needed.
15
16 It seems the SPI was created for Debian. All the rest is a side benefit, as it
17 mainly exists for Debian. I think any project Liaison should be able to be an
18 adviser. I do not like that 2 projects get leaders as Adviser's and not
19 others.
20
21 Also not sure if the SPI has ever handled legal matters in any capacity for
22 any project. Trademark enforcement, etc. Should be fairly easy to find record
23 of such. Most every country makes court proceedings public record in some
24 capacity.
27 William L. Thomson Jr.