From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Comrel Improvements: Expectations of Privacy
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 18:55:23
1 On Monday, October 3, 2016 11:35:27 AM EDT Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > If we have manpower problems, we need more recruiters. Ironically,
3 > having a manpower shortage in the recruiters project is probably a
4 > problem that is self aggravating.
5 >
6 > I would like to propose that the recruiters project open the doors to
7 > more recruiters in training. As far as I know they are severely
8 > overworked already.
9 >
10 > No, new devs should not be forced to be recruiters, but...if anyone out
11 > there IS interested in being a recruiter, maybe recruiters should open
12 > their doors to new team members.
13 >
14 > I can't speak for recruiters myself, but it does make sense.
15
16 I had many discussions about recruiting over the years with betelgeuse -
17 Petteri Raty, who I had worked with on the Java team. When he was head of
18 recruiting for several years. I even said if got back on I would help with
19 recruiting and actively recruit people.
20
21 Things like...
22
23 "Hi So and So, my name is William, I am a Gentoo Recruiter. I see you have
24 been contributing, thank you for that. Have you considered becoming a
25 developer? If there is anything I can do to help you become a developer,
26 please do not hesitate. Also if you do not mind, I will follow up with you
27 from time to time, to see if I can help you become a developer..."
28
29 You know actively recruit people contributing rather than act as HR waiting
30 for people to show. Recruiters should be aware of any regular contributor
31 contributing anything of substance and seek them out. Recruiters should NEVER
32 ask to see work from an active contributor. They should already be aware.
33
34 I believe part of why I have been kept out is fear of change. What people are
35 likely not aware of, that was part of my demise. I had just conducted a public
36 review of the Gentoo By Laws in full on the -nfp list. Some things I changed
37 people did not like and contested. Like saying you cannot be a council member
38 and trustee. Big changes led to others harassing me, and me stepping down to
39 speak my mind, not as a Trustee. That led to my ban on -nfp, and the rest is
40 known.
41
42 I was one seeking to do big things in Gentoo, causing controversy, but looking
43 to make big changes and move things forward. Others knowing this once I was
44 out. Sought to keep me out, to keep the status quo and resist change.
45
46 Sadly I never took the matter to the community. I assumed it was just me and
47 not a larger problem effecting others. Others may not like that I took this to
48 the community this time. But I have learned in this process, and heard from
49 some others I never knew were effected by comrel. Its been interesting I
50 should have done it years ago.
53 William L. Thomson Jr.