From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 23:14:39
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 17:41:57 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 2:59 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
5 > <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > On Sat, 10 Oct 2015 21:56:52 +0300
7 > > Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
8 > >> 1) GitHub _was already blocked_ in several countries [1]. We are an
9 > >> international community, thus we can't rely on such resource.
10 > >
11 > > And no doubt Gentoo will be blocked at some point, if it becomes
12 > > popular enough and continues to include software which upsets people.
13 >
14 > Of course, the whole point of the social contract is that if Gentoo is
15 > ever "blocked" or taken over by a hostile interest, etc, then
16 > everything of value that makes us what we are is already FOSS.
17 >
18 > Ideally we should get to a state where all of infra (minus things like
19 > credentials or personal info) is documented and trivial for anybody to
20 > copy. That would both make it easier for others to contribute and
21 > make it easy to roll your own Gentoo should that be useful.
22 >
23 > We haven't really pushed for a copyright attribution solution, but
24 > even there we were looking at something like the FSFe FLA which is
25 > designed to prevent being held hostage by a hostile owner (maybe the
26 > trustees lose their minds or somebody sues Gentoo, prevails, and is
27 > awarded all our copyrights).
28 >
29 > In any case, I think the arguments have been hashed out. FWIW I fully
30 > support the social contract and the importance of building on FOSS.
31 > At the same time, we should be pragmatic when somebody comes along
32 > with a largely-free solution and nobody else is stepping up with a
33 > completely-free alternative. I suspect we'll manage to find a
34 > reasonable compromise.
35
36 FSF announced GNU ethical criteria for code repositories:
37 https://www.fsf.org/news/gnu-ethical-repo-criteria
38 https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html
39
40 We should take it into consideration as well. I really doubt that
41 GitHub will be able to pass even C class check :) Such check are
42 under way right now.
43
44 Best regards,
45 Andrew Savchenko