From: Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 23:37:05
1 On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 7:14 PM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > FSF announced GNU ethical criteria for code repositories:
4 > https://www.fsf.org/news/gnu-ethical-repo-criteria
5 > https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html
6 >
7 > We should take it into consideration as well. I really doubt that
8 > GitHub will be able to pass even C class check :) Such check are
9 > under way right now.
10
11 I'm pretty sure our own infra wouldn't pass the C check, since we
12 don't recommend GPL3+ specifically but do recommend other licenses
13 (such as GPL2+). Gentoo itself is not endorsed as a free distribution
14 on their site, because it packages non-free software (even if nothing
15 non-free is installed by default or required) - and the same is true
16 of Debian and just about any other linux distro you've heard of.
17
18 Indeed, if github happens to not endorse any specific license at all
19 it is possible that it would rate higher than we do on the Gnu scale.
20 :) I think the only question is whether they have any non-free
21 Javascript which is required for the site to function.
22
23 For the most part I like their criteria, but their social contract is
24 not quite the same as our own.
25
26 That said, I'm interested in their findings all the same - hopefully
27 they'll be specific about any concerns they raise. I suspect
28 Javascript would be the main issue if there is one (I'm just referring
29 to their grade of C - I doubt it would score higher).
32 Rich