From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 00:34:05
1 On 10/17/15 7:36 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 7:14 PM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3 >> FSF announced GNU ethical criteria for code repositories:
4 >> https://www.fsf.org/news/gnu-ethical-repo-criteria
5 >> https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html
6 >>
7 >> We should take it into consideration as well. I really doubt that
8 >> GitHub will be able to pass even C class check :) Such check are
9 >> under way right now.
10 > I'm pretty sure our own infra wouldn't pass the C check, since we
11 > don't recommend GPL3+ specifically but do recommend other licenses
12 > (such as GPL2+). Gentoo itself is not endorsed as a free distribution
13 > on their site, because it packages non-free software (even if nothing
14 > non-free is installed by default or required) - and the same is true
15 > of Debian and just about any other linux distro you've heard of.
16 >
17 > Indeed, if github happens to not endorse any specific license at all
18 > it is possible that it would rate higher than we do on the Gnu scale.
19 > :) I think the only question is whether they have any non-free
20 > Javascript which is required for the site to function.
21 >
22 > For the most part I like their criteria, but their social contract is
23 > not quite the same as our own.
24 >
25 > That said, I'm interested in their findings all the same - hopefully
26 > they'll be specific about any concerns they raise. I suspect
27 > Javascript would be the main issue if there is one (I'm just referring
28 > to their grade of C - I doubt it would score higher).
29 >
30 Andrew thanks for this. Its nice to see that open source communities
31 outside of our own are engaging similar concerns. Let's keep an eye on
32 what the FSF and GNU have to say about github.
33
34 Rich, they are purists, and we don't have to follow their guidelines to
35 the letter, but they may provide useful insight.
38 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
39 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
40 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
41 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
42 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA