From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 09-10-2012
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 15:02:06
1 On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 02:14:06AM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Thu, 27 Sep 2012, Brian Harring wrote:
3 >
4 > tl;dr
5 >
6 > > Shorter version; you very clearly left out option C; "leave it as is
7 > > since PMS is filled with warts, this isn't hurting anything, and
8 > > changing it will break things."
9 >
10 > Problems aren't solved by ignoring them. ;-)
11
12 True. They also multiply if in trying to solve them, you ignore the
13 issues of the problem. :P
14
15 > The point is that currently PMS and Portage behaviour disagree.
16 > I think this is not acceptable, otherwise we could as well give up on
17 > the PMS and take the Portage implementation as the reference.
18
19 Yeah, I'm being a bit cracky in biting your head off on this one if
20 this is specifically all you're trying to address; discussions I've
21 been seeing for this one were to drop the disallowance of -\d$,
22 which... per my statements, are borkage inducing; combine that with
23 the fact theres been a lot of "lets just ignore borkage" proposals
24 lately, and I'm being fairly aggressive/noisy about stopping that.
27 First thought, that rule was added because portage was buggy
28 internally... none of us actually needed it except portage. Portage
29 internals now no longer have the underlying flaw that led to it, but
30 instead they've gone and cocked it up so the rules are tighter than
31 what PMS requires; honestly, I'd be inclined to make portage clean up
32 their own mess rather than keep changing the spec for stuff like this-
33 largely out of spite/annoyance. Not exactly great for users however.
34
35 Unfortunately, this has been in since at lease cec3c5 (02/10) for
36 diffball-1a. Plus the world isn't that nice I suspect
37
38 Currently, the only way such a package would get in is via pkgcore or
39 paludis... ie... a PMS compliant manager. Sucks, but if we're going
40 to do anything, we have to tighten the spec, which will be annoying
41 for parse speeds (version rules aren't the simplest to apply).
42
43 I truly hate having to do that also.
44
45 Either way, this angle, have at it, just thought this was another
46 "lets drop -\d$ disallowance" proposal, thus the hefty "ah man, not
47 this shit again" email.
48
49 ~harring