From: Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Items for Council Agenda, May 14
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 15:03:53
1 On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 6:52 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 6:08 AM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
3 ...
4 >> Unless this proposal suggests that all new senders are themselves,
5 >> defacto-censored.
6 >>
7 ...
8 > Yes, doing it before the fact has both philosophical and practical
9 > challenges. We need to accept those and make a decision one way or
10 > the other. I think this is one of those cases where either decision
11 > is better than compromise. If we don't have the manpower to moderate
12 > posts by non-devs then we shouldn't moderate them at all. If we
13 > consider it against our values then we shouldn't.
14 >
15 ...
16 > Honestly, I think we'll lose people either way (and we probably have
17 > been losing them for years with the status quo). Certainly they'll be
18 > different people, but there isn't really any hard data one way or the
19 > other as to which will have the larger impact. Trying to collect some
20 > kind of data around preferences might help here, though I'm not sure
21 > it will make anybody more/less happy with the outcome either way.
22
23 There are folks I know that use Gentoo but don't get involved in discussions
24 or as developers because of the "politics and annoyance" of the procedures
25 and policies that currently prevail. I occasionally present a "News from Gentoo"
26 mini-talk at various tech meetings in this part of NC [RTP] that filter out a
27 lot of chatter and focus on the technical issues; and the interest is
28 still quite
29 high by users, as Gentoo is their development platform.
30
31 If there is a perceived lack of people to do the job of moderating, I
32 might suggest
33 that insisting the moderators have to be developers may be too high a
34 qualification
35 for getting people involved. I hesitate proposing that another class
36 of involvement
37 be implemented -- that of some sort of 'certified user' of
38 'technician' -- but it has
39 been successful for some other projects. This might expand the amount
40 of trust in the project, both within and without the system.
41 Certainly, the vetting
42 process should be at a lower level than the 'developer' title requires.
43
44 Finally, perhaps a "robo-moderator" system could be implemented that
45 would know the trusted posters (developers + others) and refer new posters
46 to moderators by an email alert so that there is minimal delay in looking
47 at the new poster's material. This worked well on several USENET groups
48 for a long time. [James Levine wrote one that could be easily adapted.]
51 G.Wolfe Woodbury
52 redwolfe@×××××.com