From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Items for Council Agenda, May 14
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 10:52:52
1 On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 6:08 AM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > But for regulating misbehaving operators who can trivially find a new
4 > identity to hide behind, these tools as presented so far seem a bit
5 > toothless.
6 >
7 > Unless this proposal suggests that all new senders are themselves,
8 > defacto-censored.
11 ++
12
13 As many have pointed out, people can just get around bans by creating
14 new identities. That won't be an issue for devs, but certainly it is
15 an issue for non-devs.
16
17 I don't really see the point in doing moderation unless it is
18 before-the-fact. We'll just be playing whack-a-mole and making people
19 upset without actually changing anything.
20
21 Yes, doing it before the fact has both philosophical and practical
22 challenges. We need to accept those and make a decision one way or
23 the other. I think this is one of those cases where either decision
24 is better than compromise. If we don't have the manpower to moderate
25 posts by non-devs then we shouldn't moderate them at all. If we
26 consider it against our values then we shouldn't.
27
28 I also think we need to be consistent. If we're going to moderate,
29 then do it everywhere, or at least be prepared to do it everywhere
30 without further debate when problems arise. If we're not going to
31 moderate, then we should just embrace the results. I think that
32 having more moderation on some forums than others just creates the
33 inevitable complaint on one forum when somebody can't post on another,
34 and we have no principle to fall back on.
35
36 > But if we set up a system where new contributors are defacto-censored, ...
37 > that's not really the sort of Gentoo I want to be part of.
38
39 Honestly, I think we'll lose people either way (and we probably have
40 been losing them for years with the status quo). Certainly they'll be
41 different people, but there isn't really any hard data one way or the
42 other as to which will have the larger impact. Trying to collect some
43 kind of data around preferences might help here, though I'm not sure
44 it will make anybody more/less happy with the outcome either way.
47 Rich