From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Items for Council Agenda, May 14
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 10:09:10
1 On Thu, 11 May 2017 02:17:59 -0500
2 Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I would like to make a last minute proposal.
5
6 I'm +0 on the proposal, partly because I can't see it having any
7 measurable gain.
8
9 All these moderation processes work well in regulating well behaved
10 operators.
11
12 But for regulating misbehaving operators who can trivially find a new
13 identity to hide behind, these tools as presented so far seem a bit
14 toothless.
15
16 Unless this proposal suggests that all new senders are themselves,
17 defacto-censored.
18
19 But if we set up a system where new contributors are defacto-censored, ...
20 that's not really the sort of Gentoo I want to be part of.
21
22 Introducing barriers and penalties for the many to deal with the *perceived* threats
23 of a few just isn't worth it to me.
24
25 I despise artificial barriers that only provide a misguided sense of
26 utility while having negative net value.
27
28 [Analogous to security theatre]