From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Resignation
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 09:04:11
1 > On Dec 16, 2017, at 3:34 AM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Effective today, December 16th, 2017 at 0800 UTC, I am resigning from my
4 > position as Gentoo Developer and Foundation Trustee. I joined Gentoo to
5 > gain experience and give back to the libre software community. In some
6 > ways, maybe I succeeded a little. I learned from this experience that
7 > I don't need to be a member of a distribution to contribute or advance
8 > my skills, and people will often act against their stated goals if it
9 > improves their appearance. It taught me how *not* to organize a libre
10 > software project. The few great experiences I had here at Gentoo sadly
11 > do not outweigh the negative experiences, and I'm no longer interested
12 > in beating my head against that brick wall.
13
14 You will be missed.
15 >
16 > Here's a list of the "nothing" I've done in my Gentoo involvement:
17 >
18 > As proxy maintainer, I took on these packages to sort of "prove my
19 > worth":
20 >
21 > net-p2p/i2p
22 > net-p2p/imule
23 > x11-wm/fluxbox
24 >
25 > I knew nothing about Java -- and it probably showed -- but I was willing
26 > to learn what was necessary to get the ebuilds in better shape. This
27 > never changed throughout the 2.5 years I was a developer.
28 >
29 > pchrist, heroxbd, jlec, and zlogene mentored me and got me up to speed.
30 > I am grateful for their level of care and attention, and the effort they
31 > put in alongside me. My recruitment process was protracted due to real
32 > life, but we eventually pulled through.
33 >
34 > After I became a developer, maffblaster welcomed me to the wiki, and
35 > we even had a conversation over Mumble later on. I later took on more
36 > packages, enthusiastic to give back to a distro that I liked:
37 >
38 > app-cdr/bashburn
39 > dev-util/astyle
40 > media-sound/apulse
41 > media-video/smtube
42 > net-misc/toxic
43 > sys-apps/udevil
44 > www-servers/lighttpd
45 > x11-misc/alock
46 > x11-misc/ktsuss
47 > x11-misc/spacefm
48 >
49 > I dipped my hands into any bug I thought I could reasonably solve,
50 > and sought advice when I didn't know the correct way to do something.
51 > Sometimes this worked; sometimes I'd realize I didn't have the skill
52 > necessary, and left it to the more experienced people.
53 >
54 > Sometimes, mgorny would show up and tell me that my solution sucked or
55 > was "braindead", or that such-and-such solution was "common sense",
56 > with no explanation as to *why* it was "common sense". (this was on
57 > IRC, though [1] outlines where jcallen had to clarify what I hope
58 > mgorny intended to communicate) He didn't ever tell me what the correct
59 > solution was to any given problem that I might've messed up. To this
60 > end, his criticism served to do nothing but demotivate me. At a later
61 > point, when monsieurp and I were dealing with file collisions, he
62 > threatened to have us go through the developer quizzes again. [2] None
63 > of his criticism was helpful or encouraging. The key to good criticism
64 > is to be *constructive*, acknowledging the mistakes *AND* the successes.
65 > Without both, one's communication is morally destructive.
66
67 I think you mean destructive to morale and yes, making sure that criticism is constructive is important. I am disappointed to hear that mgorny failed to do so.
68 >
69 > [1]: https://bugs.gentoo.org/547524
70 > [2]: https://bugs.gentoo.org/603526#c6
71 >
72 > (careful, the comments might be deleted in response to this e-mail to
73 > save face)
74 >
75 > Later, I was nominated as Trustee by klondike. At first, I didn't think
76 > I could do the job. Maybe I should've listened to that feeling. But I
77 > felt it would be rude if I didn't accept a nomination. Nothing ventured,
78 > nothing gained, right? I didn't expect to be voted for. I had a feeling
79 > I would be laughed at and would walk away having spent the time on a
80 > manifesto for nothing. Reality is often stranger than fiction, and I
81 > found myself in a Trustee role. Given that he was only one rank below me
82 > in the election, I feel that klondike may have been a better fit for the
83 > role. I regret accepting the nomination.
84 >
85 > robbat2 mentored me on Treasurer duties, when he had the spare time. I
86 > felt bad that he was spread so thin between his other Gentoo duties,
87 > mentoring me, and being a parent. Nevertheless, I pushed forward, trying
88 > to fill the role as best I knew how to. Most of the time, I was afraid
89 > to touch anything because I understood that money was involved. I didn't
90 > want to make a mistake and cost us money. Because of that, I only ever
91 > logged into one account (Paypal), and only to gather the metadata we
92 > needed to update some records.
93 >
94 > mgorny again showed up; this time accusing me of being a "do-nothing
95 > politician". Thankfully, I kept an activity log of everything I did for
96 > the Foundation, and `git log --committer=zlg@g.o` will show you
97 > everything I did in the tree. Yes, I made mistakes. Some of them rookie
98 > ones. But given that I wasn't being paid for my work, and time spent
99 > on Gentoo meant time I couldn't spend on other things (like personal
100 > projects), I needed to make a value decision: was I willing to continue
101 > donating labor to an organization that didn't notice my work unless
102 > I screwed up? If I was truly as ineffectual as those who claimed it
103 > (rich0), what was the point of continuing? The cricitism I received
104 > during my time as a developer was demotivating and didn't acknowledge
105 > any of the *correct* things I did; how exactly was I going to improve?
106
107 This is why many of us do not touch the foundation. It unfortunately requires more of us than there is to give.
108
109 I do think that you were doing good work though. Your “screw ups” never affected me and I always considered commits that you made to be uncontroversial and beneficial.
110 >
111 > These questions led me to my answer: leave the organization. There is no
112 > point in continuing to try when I will only be berated for screwing up.
113 > My failures will be paraded to all while my victories go un-noticed and
114 > unappreciated. This is a losing proposition, leading nowhere. As such, I
115 > am terminating my involvement with Gentoo Linux and its Foundation.
116
117 It is a bit late to say this, but you could have tried posting about what you were doing in IRC. At the risk of annoying others, I am happy to be a cheerleader for useful things that would otherwise go unnoticed if someone told me about them.
118 >
119 > I'd like to thank everyone who helped me become a developer and trustee,
120 > and the two positive code reviews I received during my time as a
121 > developer, by Soap and floppym. They helped me understand not only
122 > *where* I messed up, but what the solution should've looked like and
123 > *why* their solutions were better. I don't think either of them really
124 > like me, but credit given where it's due.
125 >
126 > A developer will not progress or become more skilled unless they
127 > understand those key things (why, how, where). Drive-by insults and
128 > egotism will drive people away. Gentoo won't improve in this regard
129 > unless it cares enough to value what people contribute and acknowledge
130 > when people give constructive reviews. It takes effort from both "sides"
131 > of a mentorship in order to get any appreciable progress.
132 >
133 > When I reached out to members of the Gentoo community, I learned that
134 > there were a considerable number of users (of all skill levels) who,
135 > for whatever reason, did not want to go through the process of becoming
136 > a developer. This told me that there was an imbalance in the value
137 > proposition; that is, the effort spent to become a developer *appears*
138 > to be more work than what you get by making it through the process. I
139 > think this is the core of Gentoo's struggles. Gentoo will continue to
140 > suffer from manpower problems [3] until it figures out how to improve
141 > that value proposition. If higher quality recruits are desired, then
142 > a structured curriculum -- with smaller, focused tests along the way
143 > -- may be the best way to bring a recruit from "wet behind the ears"
144 > to "ready to commit on the toolchain". This process is important to
145 > Gentoo's longevity, and unless its leadership takes this social problem
146 > seriously, they will find themselves with more work and fewer people.
147 >
148 > [3]: Before any glib old-timer pipes up, recall that the Council (your
149 > leadership) just recently considered a mailing list split and discussed
150 > package maintenance (i.e. manpower) problems in the same meeting; I hope
151 > the irony is not lost on others.
152 >
153 > I expect to be laughed or jeered at by mgorny and other senior
154 > developers, but now it's Gentoo's problem, not mine. I've done what I
155 > thought I could do, and can walk away knowing that I tried. Nobody can
156 > reasonably ask for more than that.
157 >
158 > So long, and thanks for all the fish.
159 >
160 > (on the plus side, you can now type 'zl' and Tab in IRC to get zlogene
161 > instead of me :P)
162 >
163 > My Foundation activity follows.
164 >
165 > FOUNDATION ACTIVITY TRACKER
166 > FOR zlg@g.o
167 >
168 > 2017-10-08
169 > Worked with robbat2 to catch up the MoneyMarket account to match the missing
170 > statements from 2013-12 to 2015-12.
171 >
172 > 2017-10-22
173 > Edited the Foundation:Activity Tracker page with the new due date of the
174 > Treasurer's Annual Report with NM: 2018-11-15
175 >
176 > 2017-11-19
177 > robbat2 re-encrypted the banking passwords file, granting access to online
178 > accounts for me to begin converting Paypal transaction data and catch up on
179 > other financial activity.
180 >
181 > Paypal transaction information from 20170701-20171031 was imported and
182 > converted using `make all` in /paypal_raw/; commit pending
183 >
184 > Corrected Ruby call in paypal_raw/Makefile to ruby22
185 >
186 > Added a note in paypal_raw/README about requiring dev-ruby/tzinfo
187 >
188 > The meeting was postponed until Nov 26th, due to Meeting Chair's last-minute
189 > obligations and a shortage of trustees.
190 > * E-mail announcement was sent to -nfp@l.g.o
191 > * Wiki page for meeting updated
192 > * #gentoo-trustees /topic updated
193 >
194 > Convened with robbat2 on correcting the rubycsv code to include Subject: and
195 > Note: fields for matching accounts. He later fixed this on his own.
196 >
197 > 2017-11-26
198 > bug 605336; updated metadata for FOSDEM 2017 LiveDVD production reimbursement
199 >
200 > bug 591704; updated metadata for Perl Foundation donation in our loss of
201 > avenj
202 >
203 > wrote script to update foundation member OpenPGP key IDs to fingerprints,
204 > per ulm's request:
205 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-nfp/message/f06a3b742e06ddfcb541a822e0210e05
206 > sent to trustees@g.o for review
207 > used one-liner from robbat2 to fetch fingerprints from LDAP to x-ref
208 >
209 > bug 638036; created bug for shadowz.in request for logo/trademark licensing
210 > discussion pending
211 >
212 > 2017-11-27 to 2017-12-04
213 > worked on two more scripts to migrate and upgrade foundation list to include
214 > full fingerprints (and multiple keys)
215 > only script remaining is wikitable creator; a user indicated it would
216 > be trivial to write, using awk.
217 >
218 > EOF
219 > --
220 > Daniel Campbell
221 > OpenPGP Fingerprint: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6
222 > Found on hkp://keys.gnupg.net and other keyservers