From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>, Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] glep-0076: add clarification about the sign-off requirements
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 15:08:27
1 >>>>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2021, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > While I completely get the sentiment, and tend to be a proponent of
4 > real-name at least from Gentoo contributors, we have to keep in mind
5 > that we're not Linux.
6
7 > The Linux Foundation can afford to push people away, because half of
8 > their contributions are probably corporate at this point, and most
9 > contributors have a lot of motivation to get their patches included.
10 > Their customers (who also are their board members and financial
11 > backers) probably also value a more conservative approach.
12
13 > I'm sure a lawyer will tell you that you're taking less risk if you
14 > require legal names. I'll go ahead and add my own advice that
15 > everybody reading this will also be taking less risk if they never get
16 > in a car or better still don't get out of bed. Getting legal advice
17 > isn't a bad idea, but ultimately the organization has to decide
18 > whether the risks/benefits are worth it. A lawyer might be able to
19 > help the organization better understand these tradeoffs, but if you're
20 > going to wait for somebody else to call the lawyer for you it isn't
21 > likely to happen. I suspect that most anonymous contributors don't
22 > care THAT much - they're just going to stop contributing.
23
24 > I think the key is to find the balance. You can make an argument
25 > either way, and I'm not sure how essential these anonymous
26 > contributions are. If we're better off without them then just be
27 > aware that is the choice we're making...
28
29 So what is the tl;dr of this? We stay with the complete chain of s-o-b
30 lines, but keep the strict real name requirement only for the final
31 committer?
32
33 Ulrich